How can we configure dhcp features in an switch?
Editorial / Best Answer
Answered by: Kalyan Raghavan
DHCP is only available on newer IOS-based switches. For example, Catalyst 3550 and 3750 offer DHCP.
Let us take Cisco 2611 router running IOS12.2
To begin, connect the router's Ethernet port to a switch, and connect the switch to a laptop, which will serve as the DHCP client.
To configure Cisco IOS DHCP, follow these steps, which include sample commands:
- Configure an IP address on the router's Ethernet port, and bring up the interface. (On an existing router, you would have already done this.)
Router(config)# interface ethernet0/0
Router(config-if)#ip address 220.127.116.11 255.0.0.0
Router(config-if)# no shutdown
- Create a DHCP IP address pool for the IP addresses you want to use.
Router (config)# ip dhcp pool mypool
- Specify the network and subnet for the addresses you want to use from the pool.
Router(dhcp-config)# network 18.104.22.168 /8Â Â
- Specify the DNS domain name for the clients.
- Specify the primary and secondary DNS servers.
Router(dhcp-config)#dns-server 22.214.171.124 126.96.36.199
- Specify the default router (i.e., default gateway).
- Specify the lease duration for the addresses you're using from the pool.
- Exit Pool Configuration Mode.
This takes you back to the global configuration prompt. Next, exclude any addresses in the pool range that you don't want to hand out.
For example, let's say that you've decided that all IP addresses up to .100 will be for static IP devices such as servers and printers. All IP addresses above .100 will be available in the pool for DHCP clients.
Next, enter the ipconfig /renew command on the laptop to receive an IP address. After you have the IP address, enter the ipconfig /all command.
- Ip leasing period on dhcp server
- Design the optimal set of test cases
- 2 isp working in one network
- Switch gear and transformer soaking test
- Dhcp works
- Power electronics - determine resistor, capacitor and inductor using a battery, a switch and a lamp.
- Features and benefits of business intelligence
- Dhcp lease time
- 40 ibm Oracle DBA interview questions
- Bmc remedy ticketing tool
- Writing test cases
- Features involved in automation plan
- Product testing on various versions of hardware.
- ODBC - cli configuration in teradata
- Greenhat(rational integration testing) tool
- Wants to change career into Informatica
- What exactly happens when aspx page is requested from browser?
- How to turn off mouse?
- Logical database design