How to test a VB project?
    Whether to use Win runner or QTP?
    How to start the process for that tool?

so please give in detail

Expert Member
    Answers

Re: How to do Automation test to a VB project

Hi Pravmani,

Since you state it is VB platform oriented application, I would suggest use QTP instead of Winrunner as compatibility of QTP in recognizing and working with VB Controls are much better. By default it comes in with an inbuilt add-in support for VB Objects.

As a process, please use the suggested procedure as a guideline and proceed ahead.

• Creation of an Automation Approach document. This will include the kind of framework you would be using, the approach to automation as such in terms of where scripts would reside, Data management, Driver script etc.

• Selection of 2-3 functionalities for automation. This would be done on basis of manual testcases and BRS/SRS. Pick up a simple, Medium and Complex functionality to automate as part of Proof of Concept.

• Performing a Proof of Concept (POC) which would like a trial automation project. Try automating the selected 3 functionalities to check for Object Identification compatibility and your comfort level with tool.

• Automate using a simple approach to start off. Record the steps on the basis of your manual testcase. Try playing back the script. Check for handling Dynamic objects, Runtime changing properties etc.

• Once a base script is ready, enhance it using Data-dirver wizard to parameterize your script. Add Checkpoints and Logging messages.

• Create a Risk and Assumptions documents on the basis of success of your POC.

Once your POC is complete and Client approval in terms of demo is completed, Create an estimation approach to determine the number of days required to automate the application.

Cheers......

Answers

Thanks and this is very useful information and i need to know is there any site to giude me on how to proceed to automation using QTP or do plz help me in this......................

Expert Member
    Answers

Hi Pravmani,

There is no site as such which would help you to decide an approach to automating any application. You would have to formulate your own strategy as per the application.

As far any QTP help is concerned, I guess the QTP User Guide available is really good and explains the step-by-step approach to using QTP for automating applications. You can refer that.

Anyother doubt / difficulty that arises during course of automation, post it in the forum. I am sure there would many geek members ready to help you out.

Cheers..