Thread: Group by and order by

Answers

Group by and order by

Hi friends, i am executing this query in sql server 2005 select * from users where (primaryemail like 'brijesh%@efextra.com') order by firstname and it's working well.but when i tried this one select * from users where (primaryemail like 'brijesh%@efextra.com') group by firstname it's shows me error, why? i am not getting the reason

Regards,
    Brijesh Jain
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Connect with me on Skype: jainbrijesh
    Google Plus : jainbrijeshji

Expert Member
    Answers

Re: Group by and order by

the GROUP BY clause does not contain all the expressions in the SELECT clause.

Expert Member
    Answers

Hi Brijesh,

To use a Group BY clause, you would need to have atleast one aggregate function in the Select Clause.

Aggregate function like Count(*), Sum, Avg etc.

All other columns excepting the one with the Aggregate function, would need to be part of the GroupBy clause.

Example.

Select METHOD_NAME, Count(*), ROUND(AVG(LAST_CALL_DURATION)/1000,3), SERVICE_NAME, RESPONSE_STATUS
    From SGC.GATE_QUEUE
    where SYSTEM_NAME in ('CCTOOL', 'FALLOUT_HANDLING_TOOL') -- application of interest
    and date_modified >= to_date('10/03/2007 06:24 AM', 'MM/DD/YYYY HH:MI AM')
    and date_modified <= to_date('10/03/2007 07:45 AM', 'MM/DD/YYYY HH:MI AM')
    and METHOD_NAME = 'getPort25'
    Group By SERVICE_NAME, METHOD_NAME, RESPONSE_STATUS

Cheers...

Contributing Member
    Answers

Hi,

In Group by clause, its dont accept the text datatype. Pls chk whether ur one of the column may be a text.

Thx
    Prakash

Answers

Quote Originally Posted by bizzzzzare View Post
    Hi Brijesh,

To use a Group BY clause, you would need to have atleast one aggregate function in the Select Clause.

Aggregate function like Count(*), Sum, Avg etc.

Cheers...
    Thanks bizzzzzare,

I got my answer.It's not required to use a Group BY clause, you would need to have atleast one aggregate function in the Select Clause.

But the case is that, the column name which you are using in select should be either in group by statement or in aggregate function.

Regards,
    Brijesh Jain
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Connect with me on Skype: jainbrijesh
    Google Plus : jainbrijeshji