Thread: how QTP indentifies the object plz provide me all the ways of identifying the object

Answers

how QTP indentifies the object plz provide me all the ways of identifying the object

how QTP identifies the object plz provide me all the ways

Re: how QTP indentifies the object plz provide me all the ways of identifying the obj

QTP uses the Object Repository file to recognize objects on the application. When QTP runs a action, it uses the Object Repository to locate objects. It reads an object’s description in the Object Repository and then looks for an object with the same properties in the application being tested

Re: how QTP indentifies the object plz provide me all the ways of identifying the obj

During recording qtp looks at the object and stores it as test object.For each test object QT learns a set of default properties called mandatory properties,and look at the rest of the objects to check whether this properties are enough to uniquely identify the object.
    During test run,QT searches for the run time obkects that matches with the test object it learned while recording

QTP recognizes all objects in the Application under test using the set of mandatory properties that it stores for all Test Objects while recording. If QTP is not able to recognize the objects using the set of mandatory properties it uses another set of properties called the assistive properties. Incase the assistive properties are also not enough to uniquely identify an object QTP resorts to using the ordinal identifiers for the object that are properties like the index, location and time of creation of the object. If all this fails QTP resorts to the smart identification mechanism.

First of all QTP will consider all the properties present in the Object Repositary except Ordinal identifier and tried to identify the object, if it fails then it will forget above the all these properties and uses the "smart identification" mechanism in the following way:

First of all it will use all the "Base filter" properties and try to match with all the objects present in the AUT(Application under Test) and then prepare the test of objects which are matched with those properties, if the list contains only one object then it is the object, otherwise if the list contains more than one object it wil take the support of the first "optional filter" properties and try to match with all the objects in the list and the prepare a new list in the objet which are matched with theat "OF" properties , if the list contain more than one object it will take the support of second "OF" property and continues the above process till the list contain one object or up to the end of the "OF" properties list.

During recording or pre-learning QT capturing the object property's based on the
    mandatory and also assertive optional properties for unique identification but
    those property's are not enough for identification then it will take the help of
    ordinal identifier (like index or location). While execution QT using these
    property's it will uniquely identify the specific object on the AUT.

Our concept is ok as all others thinks but it the original process of
    identification is different .

Object identification:

QTP will identify the object in the following manner during the running.

It will understand the script statement.

Then it releases that it needs to from some action on some object, for that it
    needs some information about that object.

For that information it will go to the object repository and get the information
    from their.

With that information it will try to identify that object. If it all the object
    is identified it will perform action on that object. Here the information means
    object properties.

And now the question is that how it is learning those properties, to identify
    the objects.

This is the point where every one thinking his one style, but the fact is that.
    That the process of learning is like this.

There are two types of object identification that QTP normally uses apart from
    the ordinal identifiers.

In general there are four types of properties that QTP having.

Mandatory properties.

Assistive properties.

Base filter properties.

Optional filter properties.

And ordinal identifiers like location, index and creation time.

As I told that QTP will be using two types of object identification.

The first one is normal identification.

In this identification the learning of the properties will be in the following
    way.

First the QTP will learn all the mandatory properties at a time. And with these
    properties it will try to identify the object if at all it feels these
    properties are sufficient to identify the object uniquely, and then it will stop
    learning and use those properties. If at all it feels these properties are not
    sufficient to identify the object uniquely, then it will learn the first
    assistive property. And try to identify the object with those properties
    (mandatory and first assistive property), if at all it feels that these
    properties are sufficient to identify the object uniquely then it will stop
    learning and use those properties to identify the object. If it feels these
    properties are not sufficient to identify the object uniquely. Then it will
    learn the second assistive property and repeat the same process till it identify
    the object uniquely. If at all it fails to identify the object uniquely by using
    all these properties also. Then the ordinal identifiers come into picture. This
    is the process QTP identifies the objects when the smart identification is
    disable.

The second type of identification is smart identification.

In the process QTP will be learning all the mandatory, base filter properties
    and optional filter properties at time. But the identification process is as
    follows.

If you invoke the smart identification then also first QTP will try to identify
    the object by using normal identification process. That is the above process
    apart from the ordinal identifier. Now it will not use the ordinal identifiers.
    If the normal identification fails then it will come to the smart
    identification. And forget about the normal identification also all those
    properties learnt in the normal identification. And now it will using all the
    base filter properties at time and tries to identify the object uniquely. If at
    all it feels that these are sufficient then it will use these properties to
    identify the object uniquely. Otherwise take the first optional filter property
    and same process will continue as above till the object is identified uniquely.
    If at all the smart identification is also fails then it will go to use the
    ordinal identifiers. This the actual process of identification.

These are all notes taken from Greek interview only from different discussion..
    hope it helped you...

Answers

Object identification is a concept, which explains how qtp identifies the objects during learning stage as well as in execution stage. Qtp’s object identification mechanism is based on four types of properties present in it, 1) mandatory properties 2) assestive properties 3) base filter properties. 4) optional filter properties. (and) ordinal identifier. Qtp has two brains: a) normal brain b) smart brain object identification | -------------------------------------------- | | | | learning execution (normal) (smart) a) mandatory properties a) base filter properties b) assestive properties b) optional filter properties (and) ordinal identifier learning stage: in learning stage qtp can identify an object by using smart brain and without smart brain the following is the approach how it identifies: a) without smart brain: first qtp learn all mandatory properties and by using those properties it tries to identify the object uniquely if it feels satisfied to identify the object then stops learning otherwise it goes for learning assistive property1 even then if it fails to identify the object then it goes for assistive property2 it goes on till assestive property n along with mandatory properties. If still fails to identify an object uniquely then it uses the ordinal identifier to identify the object roughly. B) using smart brain: qtp learns all the base filter and optional filter properties along with mandatory properties and kept them aside. Then qtp identifies the objects by following the above process. Execution stage: in execution stage the qtp tries to identify an object based on the properties present in the object repository (the properties in object repository means mandatory properties and optionally assistive properties based on learning) if it feels satisfy to identify the objects by using those properties then stops using the properties otherwise it considers only all base filter properties except the properties present in object repository to identify the objects, if it fails again it goes for 1st optional filter property and do the same and then 2nd optional filter property and so on to till nth optional filter property. In this case also if it still fails to identify the object, it will use ordinal identifier to identify the object roughly during execution. Ordinal identifier: it is used to identify the objects roughly while in learning stage as well as in execution stage. There are 3 types of ordinal identifiers available in qtp. They are, a) location b) index c) creation time a) location: qtp will create sequence of numbers from 0, 1, 2, 3…. Based on the objects located on the application or aut. B) index: qtp will create sequence of numbers from 0, 1, 2, 3…. Based on the code implemented or developed for the objects. C) creation time: qtp will create sequence of numbers from 0, 1, 2, 3…. Based on the loading time of the web pages. Cheers.............

Answers

So it is mandatory to add Object Repositories or we can do without it. I mean, is it ok if we are recording without adding Object Repositories and running the test, what could be the effect of this? Please let me know.

Expert Member
    Answers

Khanz,

Do you mean you need to know whether Running the test is possible without recording the test else. Let me know precisely.

Thanks
    Deepasree

Answers

Hi Deepasree,

My question is that we can record & playback the test without adding Object Repositories as well, then where lies the significance of Object Repositories ? Please correct me if I am missing something.

Regards,
    Zareen

Expert Member
    Answers

hi Khanz,

You can record the test once u record it all the objects will be added in OR Resources->Object repository. So that if u save the test u can run multiple times same result will be displayed.

If you don't need objects in OR then you should write descriptive programming, function libraries. If once function library is created you can simply call the function.

Thanks
    Deepasree