Thread: First day as QA. HELP!! Please

Answers

First day as QA. HELP!! Please

Hello everyone,

I am going to start as a new QA in a Georgia based company. could you please tell me some tips and tricks to handle the job? i am very nervous. please give some pointers that i can use and do well in the job. i know you are all experts and wouldn't mind helping this newbie out. what things should i pay attention to? what documents? etc.. please help..

Vikram

Expert Member
    Answers

Re: First day as QA. HELP!! Please.

Hi Vikram,

Welcome to the World of Testing. Good to know that you are keen to learn the finer aspects of QA right from the start.

Well there would not be many pointers to guide you when you Start off. As you proceed ahead with Testing, you shall know what and how things are to be laid out.

Some simple points and Tips
    - Do Read the SRS, FRS documents thoroughly before proceeding with anything. Knowledge of Business Aspect of the Application under Test would help you further down in testing.

- Try creating Use-cases to better understand the functional flow of application.

- Try creating testcases based on Use-cases which would in turn map to your Requirements. This would ensure a good Traceability matrix.

- Dont rush into writing testcases. Plan out your Testing Approach first. You could find many guidelines in GeekInterview for designing TestPlans, Test Strategy etc. Check these out.

All the Best ....

Cheers....

Hi Vikram,

Heartly welcome and congrats for your role in Testing.

You can take care of these pointers also other than what Umesh has mentioned to enhance you as a Tester.

a. Think of logic in such a way that you are breaking the application. A good tester is who breaks the application. So to be a good test engineer you think of cases other than the normal testing such as Negative Testing, Monkey Testing etc.,

b. Try to get well versed in the Domain and the functionality you are testing. For example, you are going to involve in testing the Insurance application learn well about the Insurance Domain.

c. Dont get hesitated to get help from your seniors or others who were in the Project for a quite bit of time. Since knowledge sharing helps to learn better.

d. While writting Test cases instead of being eloborate or lengthy write it to cover the Business logic or business rule that you are testing.

Regards,
    Ganesan

Answers

thank you bizzzare and sridhar!

how will i know what test cases do i have to make? i mean which functionality? there will be more testers right? will i have to make test cases for everything? how does it work?

Hi vikram, you will be writting the test cases for the functionality described in the functionality requirement specification or system requirement specification which we commonly say as srs or frs. The number of testers in the team depends on the complexity of the application under test. For example your application has five modules say, then you will have two or more testers assigned to it. The test cases will be written by those members and will be reviewed by the other before it goes to team leader for final review before it makes to the clients approval. You have to write the testcases such that it covers all the requirement and fuctionality. You will execute those test cases once the build is deployed. Regards, ganesan

Contributing Member
    Answers

Re: First day as QA. HELP!! Please

[QUOTE=krishna1tester;25228]hi Vikram,
    Dont worry! On the first day,most of the times,no one will insruct you to write test cases.You will be given ramp-up sessions on the application or KT sessions(Knowledge Transfer sessions).
    After that, u have to start writing test cases.But you can review the test cases which were written earlier.
    Even it depends on the project.May be you will be given time to read the BRD.without understanding the BRD,or going through the earlier test cases,even a guy who is experienced in working with the earlier projects cant do.

Dont worry too much....think how you learnt riding a bicycle in your childhood.Everything is new untill you face that...[The Undertaking of a New Action brings New Strength....]

Vikram, how did it go?

Answers

went well.. benefits of being a jr. tester maybe.

thanks

Answers

hi i am benutha,

I am a QA, i have a query how to do
    Test plan?

Banned
    Answers

All the best of luck my dear...

The things u have to know 1) Think every task u are assigned with anaylitical insight 2) know abt u r process in the company and try enhance them

rgds
    PRATAP