Thread: Testing without using defect management tool

Answers

Testing without using defect management tool

Without using defect management tool like test director ,bugzilla.....can we do testing?

Answers

Re: Testing without using defect management tool

Defect management tools are for defect tracking, not testing tools.
    They help us in traking open, close bugs.If you have no tool, you can use manual report also for defect traking (like word document etc.), but it's a difficult task.Defect tracking tool's help us a lot for defect tracking.

Regards,
    Brijesh Jain
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Connect with me on Skype: jainbrijesh
    Google Plus : jainbrijeshji

Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jainbrijesh View Post
    Defect management tools are for defect tracking, not testing tools.
    They help us in traking open, close bugs.If you have no tool, you can use manual report also for defect traking (like word document etc.), but it's a difficult task.Defect tracking tool's help us a lot for defect tracking.
    what is the use of test director in manual testing?

Answers

Test director control the whole testing process.

Regards,
    Brijesh Jain

Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jainbrijesh View Post
    Test director control the whole testing process.
    can u explain clearly?
    i manual testing first we will write the test case ,execute the test case,finding the defects ,the defects will send to the developer ,after it got fixed anr the testers re test the application.this is the process of testing .in this process where we use test director?

Answers

Quote Originally Posted by devic8 View Post
    can u explain clearly?
    i manual testing first we will write the test case ,execute the test case,finding the defects ,the defects will send to the developer ,after it got fixed anr the testers re test the application.this is the process of testing .in this process where we use test director?
    It's not a complete testing process.
    Testing process begins with Requirements document.
    Before actual test case, there is needed test plan and some other documents.
    After test bed has been set up, then after test case execution begins, otherwise it's pending..

Regards,
    Brijesh Jain

Hi devic8,

It is not necessary that if you have a Defect Management tool to be in your testing process, but the defect management tool or automation tool will enhance your work and also helps in keeping track of the activities. Instead you can call the defect management tool as Test Management tool, because all of the Test management tool will have the Defect tracking facility. Even if the tool is not used to manage the defect, the defects are tracked in the excel sheet against the failed test cases.

Defect Management tool can be used both the scenarios where the testing is done either by Manual or Automation.

If the testing is done manually, then the requirements are uploaded in the Tool (taken Test Director as example in this cases) in the Requirement area and for which the test cases are written in the Test Plan and mapped. The test cases are executed in the Test Lab pane and for the failed test cases the Defects are mapped in the Defect Pane. Not it is necessary that the defect can alone be raised for a failed test cases, but new defect can also be added in the Defect Pane. But in the reverse side if a test case is failed a defect is tobe mapped or to be associated.

In the case of testing done by the use of automation tool then in the Test Lap pane the automated test scripts are mapped to the test scripts written in any of the testing tools like QTP or Winrunner. If the result of the execution is failed then new defect is added and associated in the Defects Pane.

I hope, the above subject would have made you clear in the use of defect management tool. If you still you need any details, please raise in the forum.

Answers

Hello!!
    Can one tell me how does the manual defect tracking sheet in XL looks like .

Last edited by Nandish; 02-04-2008 at 03:07 AM.

I have attached a file that gives a very basic idea of what you asked for. These are not necessarily the fields used in every shop, these are the ones that I recalled while making it. Also, these fields are in no particular order. This is only done to show you that it can be done manually, but its far more complicated and too many defects can make you lose interest in tracking defects manually.

Note. Again, it doesn't have to look like this. This is just a sample.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Anshoo_Arora; 02-06-2008 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Attached file.

Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Anshoo_Arora View Post
    I have attached a file that gives a very basic idea of what you asked for. These are not necessarily the fields used in every shop, these are the ones that I recalled while making it. Also, these fields are in no particular order. This is only done to show you that it can be done manually, but its far more complicated and too many defects can make you lose interest in tracking defects manually.

Note. Again, it doesn't have to look like this. This is just a sample.
    Thanx a lot and really guided for the right approach!!

I am glad it did, Nandish.

Answers

Can anybody send me the Test case document related to STB testing to understand the scenarions for writing test cases