Thread: How to delete duplicate rows in a table

How to delete duplicate rows in a table

Hi,
    this is saritha.

Contributing Member
    Answers

Re: How to delete duplicate rows in a table

hi

by using the rowid we can delete the duplicate rows.

ex:using emp table

delete from emp where rowid not in(select max(rowid) from emp group by empno);

Answers

You can also try this

Delete from emp e
    where rowid>(select min(rowid) from emp
    where e.empno=empno)

Answers

Angry Re: How to delete duplicate rows in a table

hi

by using the rowid you can delete the duplicate rows from the table

beacause rowid is the unique for the every rows so that by using this you can do it .

delete from [table_name] where rowid not in(select max(rowid) from [table_name] group by [field_name]);

regards

Expert Member
    Answers

You can also do in the following ways
    1)delete from emp x
    where rowid <> (select max(rowid) from emp y
    where x.empno = y.empno)
    2)delete from emp x
    where exists (select * from emp y
    where x.empno = y.empno and x.rowid > y.rowid)

Expert Member
    Answers

Try this
    Delete from table_name a
    where rowid>(select min(rowid) from
    Same_table_name b where b.pk_column_1=a.pk_column_1
    and b.pk_column_2=a.pk_columb_1);

Answers

There are two ways of Deleting the Duplicate rows Based on which Row you want to keep as it is .

1]If you want to delete rows ,keeping minimum rowid row then use Following query ,considering Emp table having empno as key

Delete from emp e
    where rowid>(select min(rowid) from emp
    where empno=e.empno)

1]If you want to delete rows keeping maximum rowid row , then use Following query

Delete from emp e
    where rowid<(select max(rowid) from emp
    where empno=e.empno)

if I have 100 columns in the table?
    delete duplicate rows but can not delete a record in the same name and different data.

I tried following ways

delete from colum_3 a
    2 where a.rowid >
    3 (select min(b.rowid) from colum_3 b
    4 where a.name = b.name
    5 and a.age = b.age);

but i want exact result with deleting different data rows

Answers

your question is not clear ,can you pass more information.

Actually i want delete duplicate rows in the table. If I have 100 columns and 1000 rows in the table how will delete the duplicate rows.
    suppose employee table can have 100 columns and 1000 rows and same name present in the table multiple employe can have diffrent data. but i want keep the employe and i delete only duplicate rows of original one.

Table can have a following data: name age location .... Department email ---------- ---------- --------- --------- -------- arun 25 chennai .... Hr sample@sample.com arun 25 chennai .... Hr sample@sample.com arun 25 chennai .... Hr sample@sample.com murugan 27 trichy .... Sales sample1@sample.com mani 28 chennai .... Software sample2@sample.com mani 35 trichy .... Marketing sample3@sample.com kathir 29 salem .... Software sample4@sample.com arun 33 chennai .... Manager arun@sample.com arun 33 chennai .... Manager arun@sample.com output should be name age location .... Department email ---------- ---------- --------- --------- -------- arun 25 chennai .... Hr sample@sample.com murugan 27 trichy .... Sales sample1@sample.com mani 28 chennai .... Software sample2@sample.com mani 35 trichy .... Marketing sample3@sample.com kathir 29 salem .... Software sample4@sample.com arun 33 chennai .... Manager arun@sample.com

table can have a 100 column and 1000 rows. i want delete duplicate rows only. the table can have a employee data
    the employee same name present in the table but different data and also present duplicate records in the table same name and same data. i want delete only duplicate rows. i can not delelete same name and same age and same department. we can only delte duplicate of original rows.
    i tried above mentioned query. help me how will delete duplicate rows?.

Expert Member
    Answers

For deleting duplicate records, you can use the below query:

DELETE FROM emp where rowid NOT IN (SELECT MAX(rowid) FROM emp Group by empid);

The above query will delete the duplicate records which has same empid

Incase if you want to check for all the columns then try this query:

delete from emp where rowid not in (select max(rowid) from emp group by id,name,no)

My emp table had 3 columns id,name,no and you need to group by all the columns in order to check if any column contains different value or not.if yes then that record will not be considered as duplicate and will not be deleted. The above query will delete the record only when all the columns have same value

this query only possible when we are using 3 or 4 columns but when i used 100 or more column how it is possible group by all the 100 columns.
    i already tried this query any way thanks for your time .

Expert Member
    Answers

You will need to GROUP BY all the columns in case if you are looking at different value for any of the column. There is no other way around.