Testing Types

Hi

I am new testing.I want to know about all the types of Testing

Thanx in Advance

Expert Member
    Answers

Smile Re: Hi

Hi Shweta,

Honestly you have asked a question which is too vast to be answered as part of a forum....

Anyways, Testing can be broadly classified as
    1) Functional Testing - Manual
    2) Functional Testing - Automated
    3) Performance Testing
    4) Security Testing
    5) Network Testing
    6) Database testing.

Functional testing is the most profound branch which deals basically testing the functionality of the AUT to check if it confirms to expected behavior. This can be called as Positive testing.
    An opposite of this is testing whether a system does not do what is not supposed to which could be called as Negative functional testing.

Functional Manual testing could be broadly categorized into -
    1) Black Box testing
    2) White Box testing
    3) Grey Box testing

Black box deals with only the functionality part of the application. Hence called as Static testing sometimes. It would include different sub-types like -
    - Unit Testing
    - Regression Testing
    - System Testing
    - Compatibility Testing etc...

There are lots more types of Black box testing. I have listed out only a few here.

White Box would deal with testing the application logic as such and hence deals with the code behind the application. Hence sometimes called as Dynamic testing. It includes sub-types like -
    - State Transition testing
    - Branch Coverage
    - Statement Coverage
    - Decision coverage etc....

I have not listed out all types of White Box as well.

Functional testing when automated using automation tools like WinRunner, QTP is called Functional Automation testing.

Apart from Functional testing (Manual / Automated), when we check the performance of a system under varying loads, it is called as Performance Testing...

What I have covered is only tip of an iceberg.....

Cheers...

Bizzzzzare