Thread: Open Source Test Tools

Geek_Guest

Open Source Test Tools

1. What are the things/points to be considered when shifting from manual testing to automation testing. 2. What opensource test automation tools can i opt for web-based applications which covers ui/regression/functional testing. *requesting to refer the best 3 tools. 3. I just need 'where & how to start from' to go into automation from manual. Scenario: ---------- i am working in a small product development company which requires extensive manual testing. However due to the time constraints i am asked to shift to setting up the automation environment for future automation testing primarily in ui/regression/functional areas. Also we cannot afford to use proprietary tools like winrunner/qtp, hence we wish to carry this with open source test tools for web-based applications. So i wish to have some knowledge in choosing opensource tools also. Requesting to provide solutions for my requirements in this forum or to pradipnkumar @ gmail . Com pls revert for any further clear clarifications on that mail. Hope you do the needful asap! question asked by visitor pradeep kumar

Expert Member
    Answers

Smile Re: Open Source Test Tools

Hi Guest,

1) The point of consideration as to when to migrate to automated testing would be - when the application has stabilizied to a fair extent and no frequent GUI changes are expected.
    2) Proceeding with automation can be traced as per the following steps -
    • Identifying the scope to be automated. This would mean coming up with an Automation approach document where you would be enlisting all the critical functionalities to be automated on a priority basis. We should also identify such functionalities which involve extensive data testing.
      Since your focus is on using opensource tools, tool evalutaion would be considered later on.
      Once scope of automation is identified, prepare a POC (Proof of Concept). This would involve automating a particular functionality using the selected tool to ensure tool compatibility with the application in terms of Object recognition.
      Once a POC is complete and reviewed, you can come up with Assumptions and Risks involved in automating the application. This could be part of your approach document as well.
      Finally prepare an estimation plan based on your POC and complexity of functionalities involved.

As far as OpenSource tools are considered, best known is Silenium which uses Javascript as syntax. It augurs well with web-based applications. Silenium works on the Agile methodology.

There are also a few other in the market such as Canoo webtest and Allcontrol tier tools.

Do keep us posted incase anything else is required.

Cheers.....

Umesh.

Re: Open Source Test Tools

1. Usaully all the testing process will start off with the manual testing and then it will be upgraded to automation testing. When the testing shifts from manual to automation then the following points should be considered,
    i. the stability of the application
    ii. there are lot of regression test cases to be executed
    iii. a project released into production and the changes are done in patches
    iv. in order to keep the track of test results which helps in analyzing the system performanace.

2. As bizzzzzare said you can try with Silenium uses Javascript as syntax. It works well with web-based applications.

3. If you are going to proceed with automation tools following points will be useful:
    a. You should have very good knowledge of the applicaiton and the requirement. You need to come to a point from the requirement specification that what are the scope and what are the modules that are going to be automated.
    b. After requirement gathering full analysis should be done on what are the requirements that can be automized and what are the areas that cannot be automized.
    c. Good working knowledge on the testing tool that you are going to use. You should be very clear on the check points that are available in the tool and which area it should be used appropriately

Answers

Re: Open Source Test Tools

Hi my friends
    I must design testing tool(automatic testcase generator) based on cause-effect graphing techinque,any body know is there any open source testing tools based on this tech to introduce me?

Last edited by mehdi658; 02-25-2009 at 04:05 AM.