Thread: Qtp

Answers

Qtp

hi

i am new in qtp. but i didn't work in real time can u please tell me
    what they will ask to do in real time.

Answers

qtp

how to do parameterization in qtp? please give me the definition also?

Expert Member
    Answers

Smile Re: qtp

Hi Aruna,

Parameterization basically means substituting hard-coded data values with different input values.

It could be for any field in your code. Say for instance you have a script dealing with Login page. Your code would be somewhat like this -

Browser("InternetExplorer").Page("Login").webEdit("UserName").setText "Aruna"

Now incase you wish to check for different user ID's other than Aruna, we use parameterization.

QTP provides 2 inbuilt parameterization sheets. They are actually excel sheets coded into QTP. These are called as Local sheet and Global sheet.

A Local sheet scope would be to a single action alone while data from Global sheet would be applicable across actions.

try this as a simple example. Fill in datavalues on the local sheet. Record a script for Login screen.

Use the wizard for datadriven and map username value to a column in Localsheet. That should help you out....

Cheers

Umesh

Expert Member
    Answers

Thumbs up Re: Qtp

Hi Aruna,

Well what you have asked is a very difficult question to answer.......:-)

anyways, QTP is a functional automation tool. So in real-time, you would be required to automate the functional flow of the application.

During this course, you would also be required to set up checkpoints, verification points to ensure that output is as per Expected results. Incase not so, we would add a defect or log a message.

What you have asked is pretty generic and would depend on the project you would be working on, but this is the activity mostly carried out in anty automation project....

Answers

Re: Qtp

Hello V.umesh Krishnan

Iam impressed by the way you write answers.

thank you very much.

Re: Qtp

What your company is going to ask you to do totally depends on the type of project and the level of application complexity. Some clients ask for an Automation Engineer who can work with scripting and completely bypass its Record/Playback feature. Some clients just want their work automated so the test cases are run in a way to completely elimiate the excess time taken to manually run them. They don't care how you do it, but just want results.

I will give you another scenario, but again it depends on the situation. I am a contractor and I have been on projects where the Tech Lead (or the existing) members were very knowledgeable about Automation tools and there were time when they had to be trained. So, you can easily understand what position you might be in if you had to face either of the two circumstances.

However, one thing is for certain. You will have to run Test Cases where functionalities will change and you will have to update your QTP script to accomodate for those changes. The better your scripts, the less time you spend correcting them -> lower the cost to your shop + you do your job very well.

There might be an occasion in which your project is developed in an environment completely new to you. So there will be a learning curve, but nothing to worry about. If you know the tool well, you would find a way or two to work in that environment.

I know my answer is very generic but it can only be specific if you can tell us what exactly the client's expectations are from the Automation Engineer.