Thread: monitoring the SERVER resources

Answers

monitoring the SERVER resources

Hi all!

How can I monitor the SERVER (from example just a simple WINXP) resources?
    With the monitoring stuffs during test execution I can monitor the localhost, it is ok, but how can I do this with a remote computer?

and...

How can this tool monitor an other PC? Because I think, that the IP addr, and a Windows type should not be enough to reach for example the memory resources on that machine. I would require a user/pass pair for this.

I think I missed somethink in this process... could anybody help me?

Thx,
    PalEE

Expert Member
    Answers

Smile Re: monitoring the SERVER resources

hey Pal,

Well I guess if you are using LoadRunner 8.0 or higher, we can set up monitors to measure the required counters at the Server side. These monitors would let you measure physical resources such as Disk Usage, memory utilization etc.

You would require the IP address and the authentication for your local firewall.

But incase you dont want to apply a monitor on the server, you could use a Webservice counter that would help you measure certain specified counters at the Server side. These include counters pertaining to IIS services.

But applying a webservice counter would enable you to only measure counters like Garbage collection, JIT etc....

Hope this helps....

Answers

Re: monitoring the SERVER resources

Yes of course, with webservice we can solve it.
    But the question is, that how can I monitor the server resources with the Loadrunner's Controller. Because if I specify there a Windows resources monitoring in an other IP I connot see anything. (and I shouldn't, because without user/pass nobody should reach system informations from an other computer)

Contributing Member
    Answers

Re: monitoring the SERVER resources

That is definitely true. You will not be able to monitor the Windows Server without the username and password. When you attempt to set up the monitor you should be prompted for a windows username/password if everything is setup correctly. I do believe a local adminstrator username/password will be needed.

Check the following:
    1)On the server machine that you are monitoring, check that perfmon is running. (Start->run->"perfmon"). If it is not, you may need to set it up by starting the appropriate service.
    2)Check that the controller machine can communicate to the windows machine in which you are monitoring (Ping it)
    3)Check if you have a mapped drive to the windows machine already. If you do LoadRunner will pick up those credentials when authenticating itself with the server.
    4)See if you're logged in with a domain login. If so. you should automatically be authenticated with all machines in that same domain. You will not need a username/password

Let us know the results!!

Last edited by SW_LoadRunnerGuru; 11-06-2007 at 03:17 PM.