Thread: Incorrect behavior connecting Oracle vs SQL Server

Answers

Incorrect behavior connecting Oracle vs SQL Server

Hi to all, i have tried to link an oracle db to sql server db (for example northwind). The link work fine, but if from sql plus i execute: sql>describe employees@myfisrtdsn; where employees is the table in sql server db and myfirstdsn is the link-name, only these colums is displayed: name null? type ----------- -------- ------------ employeeid not null number(10) birthdate date hiredate date photo long raw reportsto number(10) the others are ignored. I don't understand this behavior. Can someone help me ? in the attachment are the steps creating a link. thank you for hope and best regards gaetano

Attached Files Attached Files

Answers

Re: Incorrect behavior connecting Oracle vs SQL Server

Are you sure there are other columns in the table in SQL Server.
    There is no reason why it will display only a selected list of columns from the specified table.

Answers

Quote Originally Posted by debasisdas View Post
    Are you sure there are other columns in the table in SQL Server.
    There is no reason why it will display only a selected list of columns from the specified table.
    Yes,
    You can look a SQL Northwind Database sample provided from Microsoft.
    I suspect that the problem is the type translation from SQL Server 2005 to Oracle DB 10g. Only the column nvarchar are not translated in Oracle.

Bye.
    Gaetano

Answers

Hi,
    I have solved!!

Microsoft provide two Driver, SQL Native Client and SQL Server.

For the full compatibility, I must to use only the SQL Server driver.

Best Regards