Thread: Slow Database Performance

Slow Database Performance

We are facing a problem with my ERP package (Oracle 8i Database). The Database saving, retreving and generating reports are very slow. Kindly give advise and solution.

Answers

Re: Slow Database Performance

1.Please check for proper indexing in the database.
    2.Try to use the hints where ever possible.
    3.If there is extra load on tables then use materialized views for the purpose of generating all the reports.

Answers

Wink Re: Slow Database Performance

The most common reasons for slow database performance are related to one or a combination of issues in these areas:
    a. Hardware/os-related causes
    b. 3rd party application interference
    c. Database design
    d. Database corruption (would also be paired with other symptoms ur facing the problem of c.type c. Database design: possible causes and known issues: ***** the most common reason for slow database performance is based on this "equation": (number of users) x (size of database) x (number of views) x (frequency of document updates) x (processor) x (network latency) list of possible, individual causes.
    Note: several of these causes may be at play in any one database. Large number of documents in the database. In addition, if there are views that reference all documents in the database, this could also decrease performance. Large number of views in a database. Complex view selection formulas or column formulas in a view. Columns or view selection formulas that include time functions. For example: @today, @now, etc.
    Frequent view index refreshing and/or full text indexing of a large database. Readers fields on documents. @dblookup and/or @dbcolumn formulas (which also overlaps with network-related issues).
    Some database properties can slow performance while others improve performance. Fixup, compact and updall -r can slow down performance of database open. For example, running any of these database utilities against the same database that a user is attempting to open or within which he/she is attempting to manipulate data can slow performance. Large cache.dsk/cache.ndk on a workstation. Private or private on first use views that are stored on the server. Multilingual databases. These databases are slower to open than unilingual databases. Large attachments in databases.
    A large unique key table (unk table), meaning there are many unique fields in the database. Database or view corruption. Inefficient coding/programming of custom applications. The list of available domino programmability features continues to expand with each new major release. Thus, it is a good idea to review a custom application when a major upgrade is being planned, to review new programmability features. Tell me more about report generation

Last edited by debasisdas; 09-11-2007 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Formatted

Answers

1. Indexing the databases
    2. Check the performance the server /Network

Answers

Quote Originally Posted by srinivasaraorvv View Post
    We are facing a problem with my ERP package (Oracle 8i Database). The Database saving, retreving and generating reports are very slow. Kindly give advise and solution.
    i) Analyze the tables used.This should speed up your process.
    Syntax to Analyze the table:
    Analyze your_table_name compute statistics;

ii) Check if Indexes are defined on the columns used in joins etc
    ii) Fine tune your Sqls(f neceesary take your DBA's help).