Thread: Migration from IDMS to DB2

Geek_Guest

Migration from IDMS to DB2

I am looking for a comparison report between IDMS and DB2. In focus is a migration from IDMS to DB2. Therefore I am looking for advantages and disadvantages mainly of IDMS.
    Information like:
    - performance
    - maximum size
    - support of provider
    - negative/positive attributes
    - risks in using IDMS
    - maintenance

Does someone has a report/factsheet for those questions?

Thanx!
    Chil
    All information about IDMS (comparing to DB2).
    - performance
    - maximum size
    - support of provider
    - risks in using IDMS
    - maintenance

Question asked by visitor Chil

Answers

Re: Migration from IDMS to DB2

I may be able to help.

We have over 20 years experience with IDMS and have migrated thousands of programs, tables and applications to DB2 for dozens of clients.

Over the past 8-10 years a significant number of IDMS users have chosen to migrate to DB2.

We are constantly asked about performance issues, training, license cost, web enablement for IDMS, SOA initiatives, hardware requirements and cost.

There is no real "one report" for comparing. For example, if a customer has a Computer Associates enterprise license and migrates off IDMS to DB2, yet they retain significant CA software....there is no reduction in the CA licensing cost. If IDMS is the only CA product, then there is a directly related cost savings to the project.

Many variables come in to play.

The biggest comment we hear, with over 100 IDMS clients, is that the Gartner group published a document about 18 months ago saying (paraphrase) "If you remain on IDMS you are putting your company at risk".

Let me know if I can answer any specifics.

Ranger

Answers

Re: Migration from IDMS to DB2

Quote Originally Posted by Geek_Guest View Post
    I am looking for a comparison report between IDMS and DB2. In focus is a migration from IDMS to DB2. Therefore I am looking for advantages and disadvantages mainly of IDMS.
    Information like:
    - performance
    - maximum size
    - support of provider
    - risks in using IDMS
    - maintenance

Does someone has a report/factsheet for those questions?

Thanx!
    Chil
    All information about IDMS (comparing to DB2).
    - performance
    - maximum size
    - support of provider
    - risks in using IDMS
    - maintenance

Question asked by visitor Chil
    Hi,

I am also looking for the comparision sheet between IDMS and DB2. While searching over the net I could see the topic on this which is same I am looking for. As this discussion started 10 months back and I could not see any updates on this. Can you please share with me if you have any details on this....This would be more helpful to me...Thanks In Advance....gkpabbati@yahoo.co.uk....