Thread: Heard about different forms of printf and scanf

Contributing Member
    Answers

Heard about different forms of printf and scanf

Hi,
    I have heard about print and scanf. But recently I cam across a term called sprintf. Could someone tell me what is this relate to? Is it same as printf. If not what is the difference. This would help us to program more efficiently using these options at appropriate places.

Regards,
    Joel

Contributing Member
    Answers

Re: Heard about different forms of printf and scanf

Hi,
    printf is used to print output in standard output say display screen. In contrast sprintf is used to print something into a string instead of on the standard output.
    But there is one term called snprintf but I do not know about this. If someone could tell us the difference between these it would make this discussion more helpful.

Regards,
    Norman

Contributing Member
    Answers

Hi,
    The piece of information that I know about sprint and snprintf is snprintf is more advantageous than sprintf. It would be nice if anyone could highlight the reasons on the same. Also we could have in this discussion about snscanf also. So someone put your thoughts and ideas in this.

Regards,
    Janelyn

Contributing Member
    Answers

I do not have knowledge about snscanf but could let you know about snprint. snprintf is a function which has the syntax as below:
    int snprintf(char *s, size_t size, const char *format, ...)
    snprintf plays a very useful role by helping developers take care of buffer overflow. This is because by using snprint no more than size bytes is written into s. The return value from this function snprintf is an integer which indicates how much more space is required to write the string fully if it is not written fully. By making use of this value the users can have an idea to allocate storage space if they want to have the whole string written. Thus snprintf is used in managing the buffer in the above way. But one point to note is as sprintf comes along with ANSI C snprint is not widely used.