Thread: Test Cases for Links / Login

Answers

Test Cases for Links / Login

there are about 40 links after i login in as a test user. do i have to make a separate test case for all 40 links? how do i go about it?

also, to check all these links, i need to login first. do i, in every test case, show that i have to login? i mean to say that, the first 3 steps for every test case will be just me logging in. is that a good approach to writing test cases?

Re: Test Cases for Links / Login

Yes you have to write seperate test cases for checking all the 40 links.

As it is a pre-requisite for you to login to check these links it is not necessary for you to include the test cases for logging into the application in all the 40 test cases, but you can put it as a pre-requisite in your test cases that login should be done with the privileged user to validate those links.

Expert Member
    Answers

Re: Test Cases for Links / Login

Hi,

Firstly it has to be evaluated as to whether you are doing Manual testcase creation or Automating the scenario. I shall try to enumerate both cases -

Manual TestCase.
    As regards Login, as Sridhar has stated you could include Login steps in just one or two testcases alone. For the rest state it as a pre-requisite that User has to be an Authenticated User with valid permissions.

Creating individual testcases for the 40 links would entirely depend on whether the links are independent functionalities or inter-dependant.

Incase each link is an independent functionality, you will have to create 40 seperate testcases for validating them.

But incase some of the links are inter-dependant, in sense 2 or more links are part of a single functionality, you can cover them within a single testcase.
    Just add a step of navigating back to Page where links are displayed at end of each sub-testcase.

Automated Scenario
    Incase you plan to Automate the scenario, the question of repeated Login steps does not arise at all. Create a Re-usuable action consisting of Login steps and this action could be called beofre commencement of all other Actions.

For Links the automated scenario would still more or less remain the same as against Manual testcase creation.

Cheers......