Thread: In manual testing,how do we check database for changes?

Answers

In manual testing,how do we check database for changes?

When we test an application by manual testing, we do all the actions manually. Then in this case, how do we check database for changes? how do we connect it? Where do we go to check it...in other application? I know how to execute SQL commands, but using only online SQL interpreter. So I am unable to visuallize the procedure Also how do we check for login id and password. I understand the condition table. I want to know the procedure about encryptiont things.
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited by spd15; 04-25-2007 at 10:48 AM.

Answers

Re: In manual testing,how do we check database for changes?

Actually database testing is not only to check for data we have inserted in database.
    We should try to insert , update and delete data using queries to see we can't delete data which is not allowed to delete.
    We can't leave any column blank / null which is required.
    like this we have to query the database.

Regards,
    Brijesh Jain
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Connect with me on Skype: jainbrijesh
    Google Plus : jainbrijeshji

Expert Member
    Answers

You should get the information of database structures, naming conventions, userIDs, Pwds and so on from the developers.

To check the changes in the database, you should query the database.
    For that you should know simple SQL querying.

Lack of WILL POWER has caused more failure than
    lack of INTELLIGENCE or ABILITY.

-sutnarcha-

Answers

Yes, I recently had nainterview, They asked me how to check database. I answered the same as JainBrijesh's. I dont know if they wanted the same answer or wanted the steps. I learned it in aumation tutorial of WinRunner Trial. But Their we have to use ODBC /a window in custom checking and then few more things. How do we do this in Manual Testing? Where to write these commands? Do we have to exit from application, open SQL database, then window will appear and execute commands or so..? I have never seen this, so unable to visualize process.

Answers

hi ,
    In order to check databases for changes .you can use the tools like Toad or DB visulaiser . the first thing you need to do is establish a connection between the tool and your database.for that you need to find out from your DBA to which server database it is connected and what schema is it in and login details like user -id and password. If you are using toad or DBvisualizer .you can see all the columns in the tables, indexes, rowcount,primary keys , references of that table. and by writing simply queries u can check the functionality of the feilds.

Hi Spd,

Database Testing is basically done to validate the data that are created by the Application.

For example if you are creating data in the front end of the application either by entering manually or running an electronic file inorder to fetch the data then all these data will be recorded and saved in the database. You can also generate Reports and flat files based on different criterieas. Database testing in this case will be
    1. validating the reports generated and the flat files against the Database.
    2. To check the data created are saved in the database.
    3. Reports and flat files are validated based on different business rules and conditions.

For database validation most of the times we will be using the DML. i.e., we will be retrieving the records using different conditional operators and Joins.
    Some of the times you will also be inserting or updating the database, but in general the testers will not be having the access to the database for writing.