Thread: Java has no pointer concept but c++ has

Expert Member
    Answers

Smile Java has no pointer concept but c++ has

Java has no pointer concept but c++ has. I want to know whether it is a advantage or disadvantage.

Thanks
    Manoj

Expert Member
    Answers

Re: Java has no pointer concept but c++ has

Advantage. I don like pragramming with pointers.
    its unsafe to use pointers.
    but we can program efficiently using pointers.

Contributing Member
    Answers

pointers in c c++ provide multiple behavior so what i think it is easy for us that java is free from pointer

Answers

java being used for creating applets,where it is unsafe to use pointer because by using pointer any memory location can be accessed and for security issues pointer are not used in java
    correct me if i am wrong please.......

Answers

Post Re: Java has no pointer concept but c++ has

of course its an advantage only and one of the main reason why we r saying tat java is more secure than c++ and c.....

Expert Member
    Answers

Pointers, help you directly access memory location and also used vastly in programming for gaming purpose.

Applications can be developed using Java because you do not require Pointers concept for creating applications.

Pointers are very efficient to use but always dangerous becuase there is no limit to which it can read memory locations.

Answers

C++ has Pointer. We can access the Data Directly by using the pointer. It may cause for Security Flow. Security Feature is less in C++.

In Java We cannot access Data directly by using the pointer. So It has High Security.

Answers

C++ has pointer. We can access the data directly by using the pointer, directly access the memory location so in C++ security feature is less.
    In java there is no concept of pointers so the java is highly secure.

Answers

Thumbs up Re: Java has no pointer concept but c++ has

hello guys

yes java doesn't support pointers because of three reasons:

> it leads to confusion unless we have full-fledged knowledge about pointers.

>the program crashes easily (if the person forgets to release the memory that leads to wastage ).

>it breaks the security where security is the major advantage of java language
    (viruses,worms such programs will easily inject into our program using pointers as it is a direct memory location).

i hope my answer will be helpful .bye

Last edited by jyothi85; 09-27-2009 at 01:58 AM.

Answers

Smile Re: Java has no pointer concept but c++ has

I think java uses a new features of refernce variables instead of pointers through we dont have to also use many other function such as malloc ,calloc which are used in C++ which allocationg memory & using pointer

Answers

C++ has pointers but java doesn't support it,becoz java focuses on security.

Using pointers we can write virus programs,inorder to avoid it,they removed the ptr concept from java.

Hope tis helps u.

Answers

c++ has the pointer technology, but java hasnt. it is the advantage of java.
    because pointers does not provide security and can confuse the programmer such a difficult concept it is. hence , java softpeople excepted pointers in java.