Thread: Foss

Expert Member
    Answers

Foss

Hi friends

I read somewhere that "phython is eg of FOSS".Although they explained it their (not much), but not clear enough. Can any one explain me in simple words.Also what about java? is this an eg of FOSS too?

bye

:)
    NEVER SAY DIE.

Expert Member
    Answers

Re: Foss

FOSS - Free and Open Source Software .
    Pyhthon is an example of FOSS because, you can actually get the PYTHON code and make modifications to PYTHON and redistribute the modified PYTHON. There are just too many FOSS out there.

Was this simple enough

Cheers!
    Kalayama

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="2"]"If you are not living on the edge of your life, you are wasting space"[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Someone says "Impossible is nothing". The man next him says "Let me see you licking your elbow tip!"

Expert Member
    Answers

hi kalayama

When i wrote this post, you were not online.Infact i read it from the book which you suggested me to read.(BYTE OF PHYTON).

what about java,i think this too falls into FOSS Category!Is it?
    any other examples?

bye

NEVER SAY DIE.

Expert Member
    Answers

JAVA is not FOSS. You can't modify JAVA, can you? Is anyone offering you the code of JDK for free modification so that you can add your features to it? JAVA is free, but not open source. Hence it does not fall under FOSS category.

Another great similar example if you want, consider two bets web browsers available now, Opera (I always use Opera) and Firefox. Now firefox is FOSS, you can actually modify the "FireFix" itself and have a constemized version of FireFox. You get just too many add-ons for it which are developed by developers all over the globe. But, opera -though free to use- is not open source. You can not change the source code of opera.

Similarly, JAVA is not yet FOSS, whereas PYTHON is.

PS: IBM is pressurising SUN for making JAVA open source. Well, so far they haven'e budged. I'm sure they will! In due time...

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="2"]"If you are not living on the edge of your life, you are wasting space"[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Someone says "Impossible is nothing". The man next him says "Let me see you licking your elbow tip!"

Expert Member
    Answers

Hi kalayma

I think now java can be included in FOSS(or am i wrong?). Please see this site.

Free and Open Source Java - Overview

right na?
    bye

NEVER SAY DIE.

Expert Member
    Answers

Oh! That's news for me. This is a very recent move by Sun. (As I had mentioned in my previous post, for some unknown reason IBM wanted Sun to make Java open source. finally they have budged.). This indded is a good move. The progress of the language will be too rapid now. The very good thing Sun did was keeping the governance in their own hands. This helps in maintaining better track of changes being done to the language.

It doesn't look like it will be made completely "open source". Sun still has a hand in it. I don't think Sun will allow you to change the code and release the (say) vmshenoy Java. If it has to be called FOSS, it should allow you to that. (In due time they might comeup with that too).

As far as I could see, JAVA ME is being offered under GNU V2 licence. By the way, the community is yet to be opened in full mode. Some of the components (like JAVA EE) are yet to fall under GNU licence.

Don't have time now to go through all the ifs and buts. Check those and post the components which are under GNU licence currently post for us, will you? Atleast it'll help me

Yes. One can call JAVA FOSS now. (Once all the code falls under GNU public licence).

PS: You definitely seem to be in love with Java. I guess it will be exciting for you to know that you can have your own version of Java

Cheers!
    Kalayama

Expert Member
    Answers
    yeah kalayam!

i will try my best.If i get info regarding it, i will surely post it!

This says java ee falls under this gnu license too!
    13.november.2006—sun believes deeply in creating communities and sharing innovations and technologies to foster more participation. Today in a historic move, sun is opening the door to greater innovation by open sourcing key java implementations—java platform standard edition (java se), java platform micro edition (java me), and java platform enterprise edition (java ee)—under the gnu general public license version 2 (gplv2), the same license as gnu/linux.
    Sun Opens Java :d

many interesting things realted to java @ foss given here!

Pratibha Malhotra's Weblog

Bye

Last edited by kalayama; 01-21-2007 at 12:55 PM.
    NEVER SAY DIE.

Expert Member
    Answers

Hi VMShenoy,

Moderation Comments

For betterment of the thread, I have merged your last 3 posts into one single post with minor modifications. Please note I did this because it is not advisible to have more than one consecutive post in the same thread unless someone replies for your previous post.

Ideal thing to do is to edit your existing post include all the data in the single post (Since noone has replied to your previous post, it doesn't hurt). Please note that, there was nothing wrong about your posts. All the three posts were informative and were adding value to the thread. Also note that your contributions are invaluable, do keep posting great stuff like you are already posting.

Also note that, I have merged the post ONLY for the betterment of the thread. Apologies for not informing you before I merged the posts.

Back To The Thread Topic

Yes. vmshenoy, Java has indeed become FOSS! That's great news for every developer under sun! Thanks for posting the details.

Cheers!
    Kalayama

Contributing Member
    Answers

Thank you friends. It was really a very interesting and useful discussion. I could get lot of important points from this discussion.

Answers

hi friends, i need example C#.net coding for encapsulation,abstraction,polymorphism,interfaces and brief definition