Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: "rep power... " means?

  1. #1
    Expert Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Answers
    383

    "rep power... " means?

    hi admin

    What does this "rep power" mean, which is shown in our posts?What does green light indicate?

    :)
    NEVER SAY DIE.

  2. #2
    Expert Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Answers
    206

    Re: "rep power... " means?

    you can add rep power for any post .. just click on the image next to permlink on right hand side and add your comments... that's some kind of feature to rate members how valuable their posts are ...

    Reputation Score is an attribute of each member that indicates the quality of the member's posts as rated by other active members. A member's Reputation Score increases when other members who have reputation power approve posts by that member by clicking on the "Rate this Post" link in the upper right hand corner of the post. A member's reputation score can be seen by the number of small green squares in the upper right hand corner of any posts by that member. Comments given to a member can be viewed by that member in his or her profile.

    Reputation Power is the amount by which a member can affect another member's Reputation Score. Reputation Power takes into account length of membership, number of posts, and Reputation Score. A member's Reputation Power can be seen in the upper right hand corner of any post by that member.


    Please correct me if I am wrong ...

    Suji

    Last edited by suji; 01-31-2007 at 11:49 AM.

  3. #3
    Expert Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Answers
    477

    Re: "rep power... " means?

    Beautifully answered Suji. Of course your answer is perfect. Just perfect.

    -kalayama

    [COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="2"]"If you are not living on the edge of your life, you are wasting space"[/SIZE][/COLOR]

    Someone says "Impossible is nothing". The man next him says "Let me see you licking your elbow tip!"

  4. #4
    Expert Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Answers
    383

    Re: "rep power... " means?

    Quote Originally Posted by suji View Post
    you can add rep power for any post .. just click on the image next to permlink on right hand side and add your comments... that's some kind of feature to rate members how valuable their posts are ...

    Reputation Score is an attribute of each member that indicates the quality of the member's posts as rated by other active members. A member's Reputation Score increases when other members who have reputation power approve posts by that member by clicking on the "Rate this Post" link in the upper right hand corner of the post. A member's reputation score can be seen by the number of small green squares in the upper right hand corner of any posts by that member. Comments given to a member can be viewed by that member in his or her profile.

    Reputation Power is the amount by which a member can affect another member's Reputation Score. Reputation Power takes into account length of membership, number of posts, and Reputation Score. A member's Reputation Power can be seen in the upper right hand corner of any post by that member.


    Please correct me if I am wrong ...

    Suji

    hi suji , your answer is perfect! but i would like to ask one more thing!


    a member may "disapprove" some other members post ,may be intentionally due to some personal reasons(to reduce other member's reputation score), even if the post is good! So how to counter this!(though i know here everyone is to share their knowledge, ask their queries but still......)

    bye


    :)
    NEVER SAY DIE.

  5. #5
    Expert Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Answers
    206

    Re: "rep power... " means?

    that's why we have mods .... I am not sure how the permissions are set .. admin should be able fix that...


  6. #6
    Expert Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Answers
    477

    Re: "rep power... " means?

    Well, the same can be said to rep power too. Becaue if two or many of us are very good friends. Then we can keep increasing each others reputation. At the same time, the same can be done negetively. We can keep condemning another person's post to spoil his rep.

    I don't know how Admin has configered it now, but I don't think we need this feature to be enabled at this junction of time. We are better off without it. (That's my opinion).

    -Kalayama

    [COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="2"]"If you are not living on the edge of your life, you are wasting space"[/SIZE][/COLOR]

    Someone says "Impossible is nothing". The man next him says "Let me see you licking your elbow tip!"

  7. #7
    Expert Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Answers
    383

    Re: "rep power... " means?

    Quote Originally Posted by kalayama View Post
    Well, the same can be said to rep power too. Becaue if two or many of us are very good friends. Then we can keep increasing each others reputation. At the same time, the same can be done negetively. We can keep condemning another person's post to spoil his rep.

    I don't know how Admin has configered it now, but I don't think we need this feature to be enabled at this junction of time. We are better off without it. (That's my opinion).

    -Kalayama
    hi

    This seemed to be good feature , which ofcourse will help improve the quality of all the posts.Everyone , before posting, will surely try to post good material.

    but if this feature is kept, someone should see to the issue I raised in my previous post! but is it possible to check whether the ratings of posts are right?I dont feel so! equally true what kalayama told about friends increasing each others score!

    So if there is fool proof measure to it then fine, otherwise like kalayama told its better not to have this feature now!

    Thanks


    :)
    NEVER SAY DIE.

  8. #8
    Expert Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Answers
    477

    Re: "rep power... " means?

    The other problem here is, indirectly there will be a discrimination drawn among members. Members with better REP might feel that they are supirior and one might feel disappionted that he doesn't have anough rep points even after posting so many great stuff.

    Yes. We should have this feature enabled. But after some time, it is still too early to add that feature. Let the site grow for a while and then we can introduce it.

    (Though I think currently it is on by default).

    -Kalayama

    [COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="2"]"If you are not living on the edge of your life, you are wasting space"[/SIZE][/COLOR]

    Someone says "Impossible is nothing". The man next him says "Let me see you licking your elbow tip!"

  9. #9
    Expert Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Answers
    383

    Re: "rep power... " means?

    Quote Originally Posted by kalayama View Post
    The other problem here is, indirectly there will be a discrimination drawn among members. Members with better REP might feel that they are supirior and one might feel disappionted that he doesn't have anough rep points even after posting so many great stuff.

    Yes. We should have this feature enabled. But after some time, it is still too early to add that feature. Let the site grow for a while and then we can introduce it.

    (Though I think currently it is on by default).

    -Kalayama
    hi kalayama
    I dont think kalayam that discrimination will be an issue thatmuch! May be as you said, BUT i always feel that its always good you have some rating!This will surely encourage one to do better and also improve the quality of posts! Ofcourse we all are friends here, aren't we? so i feel no issue of superiority etc.


    If someone still tries to act superior, then we should tell him his bounds!

    But yes, rating should be transparent and actual!Anyway, its upto admin what he thinks!

    Bye

    :)
    NEVER SAY DIE.

  10. #10
    Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Answers
    331

    Re: "rep power... " means?

    Hello All,

    This feature is disabled for now ... we are looking to rate threads and posts feature AJAX based.. let's see how that works out.. if you are interested to see the demo before we we implement. please send me a note.. I will send the demo link...

    Thanks,
    admin


  11.  Sponsored Ads
    Ad


     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Applying for a job can be a stressful and frustrating experience, especially for someone who has never done it before. Considering that you are competing for the position with a at least a dozen other applicants, it is imperative that you thoroughly prepare for the job interview, in order to stand a good chance of getting hired. That's where GeekInterview can help.
Interact