Thread: Difference between test cases and use cases

bhushanbhangale

Difference between test cases and use cases

Hi, i am confused between test cases and use cases. Please any one tell me the difference.

Answers

Re: Difference between test cases and use cases

use cases are generally prepared by Business Analysts , to better understand the functionality of the application , generally use case contains preconditions , field validations, event lists, postconditions,flow graph,prototype . Based on the use case document test engineers prepare test cases.

Contributing Member
    Answers

Use Case are the various scenario, which are written on the basis of customer requirements.

Whereas Test Case are the documented steps, which are written on the basis of use cases.

Quote Originally Posted by bhushanbhangale View Post
    Hi, i am confused between test cases and use cases. Please any one tell me the difference.
    Hi,

Test cases are the step wise description or activities which are going to be executed in order to validate the application. The test cases will contain the step number, description or activity - what action is going to happen while validation, the input data, the expected result and the actual result. The test cases are written based on the functionality or requirements or the use cases received from the client. Test Cases will be prepared by the Quality Team or the Testing Team.

Use cases are prepared from the Functionality requirement document. Use case will explain how the application will flow. It will describe the Basic Flow, Alternate Flow and Exceptional Flow, how the application will be processed. Use case document will be used as the base document by both the Developers and the Testers. Developers will write the code based on the Use case and Testers in turn will identify test scenarios and write test cases based on the use case. Use will be written by the Business Analysts.

Regards,
    Ganesan

bhushanbhangale

Thanks sridharrganesan, i really like the answer you described.

Answers

HI frnds, can any one tel me..when a tester can starts test case writing? reply sooooon plss..

Expert Member
    Answers

Use Case :is a functional and system requirement of how a user uses the system being designed to perform a task.it provdes a powerful communication between customer,developer and tester

TEST CASE:test cases r written on the basis of use case documents..that describes an input action or event and expected response to determine if a feature of an application is working correctly

In simple words, the test case are derived from use cases, adn the use cases reflect the Software Requirement Specification.

Thanks
    Sushma

Expert Member
    Answers

hi sridharrganesan

WOW... excellent explanation

Thanks
    Deepasree

Expert Member
    Answers

the tester can start writing the test cases once they get the business requirements

Sushma