Thread: Winrunner Doubt

Answers

Winrunner Doubt

While I use the Rapid test script wizard to learn the Gui objects in my application( It is a website) ,the rapid test script wizard learns the gui objects window as a whole property,it doesnt learn it as single.

For ex: there is a text box and a drop down in the window.
    If i try to learn the Text box alone,i cant do it it learns the whole window itself as a single property type.

Expert Member
    Answers

Re: Winrunner Doubt

Hi dolphina,

A rapid test script wizard basically is used when you wish to learn the properties of all objects present in a window in a single shot.

When you say, that whole window is recognized as a single property, did you check that there is no hierarchy dispalyed below the parent window object. I mean in sense -
    parent window
    - child frame
    - edit box.

Incase there is no hierarchy displayed, try learning the same textbox or drop-down box using gui spy.

Incase winrunner is able to identify the object properties correctly and as an individual entity, then there might be an issue with rapid test wizard.

Also I would suggest that you script after learning the objects in gui map. This would increase your scripting as well tool knowledge rather than using rapid test wizard to create tests out of the navigational flow.

Cheers...

Answers

Yes I tried with GUI Spy also it is taking the entire window as a single frame,we are not able to locate the text box individually.

Expert Member
    Answers

Can you tell me the Application platform you are working on.

You had stated that it is a Web-application but please do let me know as to whether the Object is a part of a frame / Webtable / grid etc.

Also, have you earlier recorded any other script for the same application ?

Cheers....

Answers

I just tested with google.com also,but winrunner recognizes the window as a whole ,we cant locate individually the search text box alone.

Hi,

If you have problem with learn the objects alone using Rapid Test wizard, then I think there must be some issue. In this case try using Map file per test mode, which will create an individual GUI Map for each and every test run. Also you can use GUI Spy to learn the object which you are not able to recognize.

Regards,
    Ganesan

Answers

WinRunner recognizes only standard objects and its properties. If WinRunner comes across partially-identifiable, completely non-identifiable objects, depending on the nature of objects present in the application, WinRunner treats as single window objects or multiple etc. Hence, before using Rapid Test Script Wizard its advisable to perform a thorough spy (using GUI Spy) and learn all the objects present in the application. to learn the partially identifiable and non-identifiable objects you may use GUI Map configuration and Virtual Object wizard.