Thread: Difference between JDK1.4.2, JDK 1.5.0 and JDK1.6

Geek_Guest

Difference between JDK1.4.2, JDK 1.5.0 and JDK1.6

What is the difference between jdk1.4.2 and jdk 1.5.0 and jdk1.6

I have created s front page using jdk1.4.2 swing tools. After that i have updated with jdk.1.60 what happen my window color automatically change

I have used a drop down list box of linked with Mysql database table emp, in this I can't able to type to get a value i have to scroll for picking a emp no. (jdk1.4.2) after updation i can directly type the no i shows i corresponding other details like empname and all

Why it does not work in jdk1.4.2

Question asked by visitor siranjeevi

Answers

Post Re: Difference between JDK1.4.2, JDK 1.5.0 and JDK1.6

hi,
    There are lot of class have been deprecated in java 5. and sun have named it as Java Tiger. They have added some features also. somethink like autoboxing, autounboxing, generics, for loop enhanced, etc...,
    So if you have created an application/program using java 1.4 it may for some occasion wont run in java 5. the reason is many classes have been deprecated. I dont know how to tell clearly. For further ref. see java complete reference something like that.

Regards,
    Rajkumar

Answers

Re: Difference between JDK1.4.2, JDK 1.5.0 and JDK1.6

You should check out the list of some of the deprecated methods and such at
    http:// java . sun . com /j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/deprecated-list . html
    This shows a number of AWT and Swing stuff that are not used anymore.

Answers

All are in 1.5 but not in 1.4 generics this long-awaited enhancement to the type system allows a type or method to operate on objects of various types while providing compile-time type safety. It adds compile-time type safety to the collections framework and eliminates the drudgery of casting. Enhanced for loop this new language construct eliminates the drudgery and error-proneness of iterators and index variables when iterating over collections and arrays. Autoboxing/unboxing this facility eliminates the drudgery of manual conversion between primitive types (such as int) and wrapper types (such as integer). Typesafe enums this flexible object-oriented enumerated type facility allows you to create enumerated types with arbitrary methods and fields. It provides all the benefits of the typesafe enum pattern ("effective java," item 21) without the verbosity and the error-proneness. Varargs this facility eliminates the need for manually boxing up argument lists into an array when invoking methods that accept variable-length argument lists. Static import this facility lets you avoid qualifying static members with class names without the shortcomings of the "constant interface antipattern."

i guess there is some difference in enum datatype.

Answers

Hi,
    I am facing a problem with the session beans.
    Problem Description :- I have set a value in the session bean and when i tried to get the value from the session bean a null value is returned. What could be the problem for this. recently i have upgraded the jdk version from jdk1.4 to jdk1.5.

Is there any problem with the class files compiled on jdk1.5.

Answers

Unhappy Re: Difference between JDK1.4.2, JDK 1.5.0 and JDK1.6

Hi folks,
    Many changes will happen in Jdk 1.5, simple Enhancements will happen in jdk 1.6 like deque related class in java.

Java 1.5 features
    --------------------
    1.Enhanced for loop(for each for loop).
    2.Enumeration( enum keyword)
    3.Assertions added in java 1.5
    4.AutoBoxing/Unboxing ( like wrapper classes . means automatic convert between primitive to String and vice-versa.)
    5.Generics ( example: typed Collections, Set(<String>))
    6.Varagrs (variable arguments) (example : for printf() function,allows variable number of different arguments)
    7.StringBuilder class in jdk 1.5 (java.lang package)
    8.Annotations.

see jdk 1.4 depricated classes/methods in jdk1.5 api.

Last edited by timmireddy; 06-06-2009 at 05:53 AM.

Answers

The features /comparisons of different Java versions are given below:
    From Java 1.0 to Java 1.6

Last edited by shaangeek; 06-23-2009 at 05:02 AM. Reason: Formatting

See: comparison of all java versions in next message :

Last edited by Shahnawaz Shaan; 06-23-2009 at 04:58 AM. Reason: Shorten

JDK 1.0 (january 23, 1996) oak
    - Initial release

JDK 1.1 (february 19, 1997)
    - Retooling of the AWT event model
    - Inner classes added to the language
    - JavaBeans
    - JDBC
    - RMI

J2SE 1.2 (December 8, 1998) playground
    This and subsequent releases through J2SE 5.0 were rebranded retrospectively Java 2 & version name "J2SE"
    (Java 2 platform, Standard edition) replaced JDK to distinguish the base platform from
    J2EE (java 2 platform, enterprise edition) and J2ME (java 2 platform, micro edition).

- Strictfp keyword
    - Reflection
    - Swing api integration into the core classes
    - JVM equipped with a jit compiler
    - Java plug-in
    - Java IDL
    - An IDL implementation for corba interoperability
    - Collections Framework

J2SE 1.3 (may 8, 2000) kestrel
    - Hotspot jvm included
    - JavaSound
    - JNDI included in core libraries
    - Java platform debugger architecture (jpda)
    - RMI was modified to support optional compatibility with corba

J2SE 1.4 (february 6, 2002) merlin
    - assert keyword
    - Regular expressions
    - Exception chaining (allows an exception to encapsulate original lower-level exception)
    - Internet protocol version 6 (IPV6) support
    - Non-blocking nio (new input/output)
    - Logging API
    - Image i/o api for reading and writing images in formats like jpeg and png
    - Integrated XML parser and XSLT processor (JAXP)
    - Integrated security and cryptography extensions (JCE, JSSE, JAAS)
    - Java web start

J2SE 5.0 (september 30, 2004) tiger [originally numbered 1.5]
    - Generics: provides compile-time (static) type safety for collections and eliminates the need for most typecasts (type conversion).
    - Metadata: also called annotations; allows language constructs such as classes and methods to be tagged with additional data, which can then be processed by metadata-aware utilities.
    - Autoboxing/unboxing: automatic conversions between primitive types (such as int) and primitive wrapper classes (such as integer).
    - Enumerations: the enum keyword creates a typesafe, ordered list of values (such as day.monday, day.tuesday, etc.). Previously this could only be achieved by non-typesafe constant integers or manually constructed classes (typesafe enum pattern).
    - Swing: new skinnable look and feel, called synth.
    - Var args: the last parameter of a method can now be declared using a type name followed by three dots (e.g. Void drawtext(string... Lines)). In the calling code any number of parameters of that type can be used and they are then placed in an array to be passed to the method, or alternatively the calling code can pass an array of that type.
    - Enhanced for each loop: the for loop syntax is extended with special syntax for iterating over each member of either an array or any iterable, such as the standard collection classesfix the previously broken semantics of the java memory model, which defines how threads interact through memory.
    - Automatic stub generation for rmi objects.
    - Static imports concurrency utilities in package java.util.concurrent.
    - Scanner class for parsing data from various input streams and buffers.
    - Assertions
    - StringBuilder class (in java.lang package)
    - Annotations

Java SE 6 (december 11, 2006) mustang
    sun replaced the name "J2SE" with java se and dropped the ".0" from the version number.
    Beta versions were released in february and june 2006, leading up to a final release that occurred on december 11, 2006.
    The current revision is update 14 which was released in may 2009.

- Support for older win9x versions dropped.
    - Scripting lang support: Generic API for integration with scripting languages, & built-in mozilla javascript rhino integration
    - Dramatic performance improvements for the core platform, and swing.
    - Improved web service support through JAX-WS JDBC 4.0 support
    - Java compiler API: an API allowing a java program to select and invoke a java compiler programmatically.
    - Upgrade of JAXB to version 2.0: including integration of a stax parser.
    - Support for pluggable annotations
    - Many GUI improvements, such as integration of swingworker in the API, table sorting and filtering, and true swing double-buffering (eliminating the gray-area effect).

Java se 6 update 10
    A major enhancement in terms of end-user usability.
    - Java Deployment Toolkit, a set of javascript functions to ease the deployment of applets and java web start applications.
    - Java Kernel, a small installer including only the most commonly used jre classes. Enhanced updater.
    - Enhanced versioning and pack200 support: server-side support is no longer required.
    - Java quick starter, to improve cold start-up time.
    - Improved performance of java2D graphics primitives on windows, using direct3D and hardware acceleration.
    - A new Swing look and feel called NIMBUS and based on synth.
    - Next-generation java plug-in: applets now run in a separate process and support many features of web start applications.

Java se 6 update 12
    This release includes the highly anticipated 64-bit java plug-in (for 64-bit browsers only), windows server 2008 support,
    and performance improvements of java and JAVAFX applications.

Last edited by Shahnawaz Shaan; 06-23-2009 at 05:13 AM.