Thread: Can you tell me What is Data hidding

Geek_Guest

Can you tell me What is Data hidding

Can you tell me What is Data hidding i read it on many books but did not get it correctly please explain it with example ?

Question asked by visitor Vipul

Answers

Re: Can you tell me What is Data hidding

you mean Data Encapsulation?

Answers

Hi,
    to reduce the complexity we use data hiding. we use external data to do the task by ignoring the internal data which is hidden.

i give ex: take a car have so many parts we ignore all the parts which hidden internally. by using accelarator, break, steering, gear...etc we can drive the car....follow example.

thanks

Answers

The process of data hiding is known as Encapsulation.This means that it is used to just simplifies the complex problems.it means that it really reduces the complexities of the problems.For example in real world just like in accelerator(lift) we knows that it moves up and down and we moves to our destination .that's it.In Encapsulation programmer reduces the complexity for the user.it means it hide the information about how it works,by which component it was made up etc but the programmer abstracts all the essential infomation like press 1,2,3,4,5,6 for moving the desire location.ok.thanks.

Expert Member
    Answers

hi,

In computer science, the principle of information hiding is the hiding of design decisions in a computer program that are most likely to change, thus protecting other parts of the program from change if the design decision is changed.
    A common use of information hiding is to hide the physical storage layout for data so that if it is changed, the change is restricted to a small subset of the total program. For example, if a three-dimensional point (x,y,z) is represented in a program with three floating point scalar variables and later, the representation is changed to a single array variable of size three, a module designed with information hiding in mind would protect the remainder of the program from such a change.

For instance a car is a complex piece of equipment. In order to make the design, manufacturing, and maintenance of a car reasonable, the complex piece of equipment is divided into modules with particular interfaces hiding design decisions. By designing a car in this fashion, a car manufacturer can also offer various options while still having a vehicle which is economical to manufacture.

For instance, a car manufacturer may have a luxury version of the car as well as a standard version. The luxury version comes with a more powerful engine than the standard version. The engineers designing the two different car engines, one for the luxury version and one for the standard version, provide the same interface for both engines. Both engines fit into the engine bay of the car which is the same between both versions. Both engines fit the same transmission, the same engine mounts, and the same controls. The differences in the engines are that the more powerful luxury version has a larger displacement with a fuel injection system that is programmed to provide the fuel air mixture that the larger displacement engine requires.

Thanks
    Sushma

Expert Member
    Answers

hi friend..

just refer this link Hiding Data within Object-Oriented Programming

thanks
    Deepasree