Thread: The best way/resource to learn JAVA

Expert Member
    Answers

The best way/resource to learn JAVA

Hi guys,
    Well I am basically a C++ programmer, but I would love to more about Java. Though I do know Java in bits and pieces, no information is systematic and I often end up confusing myself with C++ style abd syntax.

Now, What I'd like to do is learn the language systematically. I did check the Sun's Java website and I could see so many components there like Java Beans, Java EE, Servlets etc etc. What -accoding to you- is the ideal way to get starte with Java? (I always thought learning core Java first makes sense).

Also, I would like to know the best resources to learn Java (From Scratch, beginner's level). Any resource is is fine as long as it is good. Might be ebooks, tutorials or Paper books...

So, let your suggestions flow in.

cheers!
    Kalayama

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="2"]"If you are not living on the edge of your life, you are wasting space"[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Someone says "Impossible is nothing". The man next him says "Let me see you licking your elbow tip!"

Contributing Member
    Answers

Re: The best way/resource to learn JAVA

hi

concentrate on headfirstjava book

this will help u well

Expert Member
    Answers

Thank you very much mate. I just had a look into that- it doesn't appear to teach things systematically. Also there is not enough explaination of concepts. And the book is by far comical - in explaination. I need something more solid, concrete that focuses well on concepts.

Any other suggestions?

(I presume you talked about this book)

Head First Java

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="2"]"If you are not living on the edge of your life, you are wasting space"[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Someone says "Impossible is nothing". The man next him says "Let me see you licking your elbow tip!"

Expert Member
    Answers

Boy! Aren't there any Java Programmers around??? Can't they just post how they learnt Java???

I wonder how many Java programmers are around here... Thought the number count was huge... Hmmm.. Still no suggestions... Beats me!

-Kalayama

Contributing Member
    Answers

Hi Kalayama,

You told that u know Java in bits and pieces.
    What i understood from this is that,you want to know each and every topic in depth right from the basics.

If it is so,I can suggest you one link,where u can find lots of material on Java,among which Kathysierra's is very gud one.

Ofcourse, this is the one suggested for SCJP,but i think it would be useful for all.

Have a look at the Kathysierra's zip files in the below link.

esnips.com / web / jinto-SCJP

And let me know whether its useful..

Thanks
    Neelima

Answers

Please refer
    1. http://java.sun.com/developer/techDocs/resources.html
    2. http://java.sun.com/developer/codesamples/basics.html
    3. http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/index.html
    4. http://java.sun.com/javaee/5/docs/tutorial/doc/

you get a lot...
    Quote Originally Posted by kalayama View Post
    Hi guys,
    Well I am basically a C++ programmer, but I would love to more about Java. Though I do know Java in bits and pieces, no information is systematic and I often end up confusing myself with C++ style abd syntax.

Now, What I'd like to do is learn the language systematically. I did check the Sun's Java website and I could see so many components there like Java Beans, Java EE, Servlets etc etc. What -accoding to you- is the ideal way to get starte with Java? (I always thought learning core Java first makes sense).

Also, I would like to know the best resources to learn Java (From Scratch, beginner's level). Any resource is is fine as long as it is good. Might be ebooks, tutorials or Paper books...

So, let your suggestions flow in.

cheers!
    Kalayama