Thread: Shell Scripting questions

Geek_Guest

Shell Scripting questions

Question asked by straakaatt9

I'm just learning how to write shell scripts and I need your help in solving a couple of scripting questions: Here goes,

1. Write a command line that will count the number of daemon processes?
    2. Write a command line that will display a sorted list of logged-in users using the sed command?
    3. Write a script to remove all space characters stored in the shell variable called text, using the tr command.
    4. Same as #3 using the sed command instead of the tr command?
    5. Write script to count number of characters stored in shell variable called count=?
    6. Write program to assign unique lines in the file called names to a shell variable called namelist?

Answers

Re: Shell Scripting questions

1) Process table in unix does not have any identification for the type of process. And the daemon process is nothing but the process running in a loop. So I do not think there is a way to list the daemon processes in a single command line.
    5) echo $count|wc -c
    I will work on other questions and get back.

Answers

1. ps -eaf | wc -l
    2. who | sort -k 3 (sed is stream editor , you can edit file using sort)
    3. echo " This is Kunal ." | tr -d "[:space:]"
    echo " This is Kunal ." | tr -d ' '
    4. echo " this is kunal ." | sed 's/ *//g'
    5. echo " This is Kunal ." | wc -c (c for character count and l for line count)
    6. I cant understand your 6 question

Quote Originally Posted by Geek_Guest View Post
    Question asked by straakaatt9

I'm just learning how to write shell scripts and I need your help in solving a couple of scripting questions: Here goes,

1. Write a command line that will count the number of daemon processes?
    2. Write a command line that will display a sorted list of logged-in users using the sed command?
    3. Write a script to remove all space characters stored in the shell variable called text, using the tr command.
    4. Same as #3 using the sed command instead of the tr command?
    5. Write script to count number of characters stored in shell variable called count=?
    6. Write program to assign unique lines in the file called names to a shell variable called namelist?

Answers

Shell Scripting questions

Write the commands to remove all the space characters stored in the shell variable text.

Answers

Quote Originally Posted by daxeshpatel View Post
    Write the commands to remove all the space characters stored in the shell variable text.
    text="hai this is for testing"
    echo "$test"|tr " " "\0"
    output
    haithisisfortesting