Thread: what to do when we join any company as a tester?

Answers

what to do when we join any company as a tester?

Hi
    i am new to testing , i want to know what exactly we have to do when we join as a tester in any company .Can anyone guide me and post any of their experiences.
    It is silly but curious to know what to do when we join any company as a tester from the first day, like what kind of stuff will be given etc..and what kind of interaction is required with manger etc..please respond. Thank you

Answers

Re: please respond

at first you will given be some documents and PPT's to gotrough
    you will be given enough time to understand about the company strategie and about the project
    Dont panic, they will do their best to keep you up in the company

Contributing Member
    Answers

hi,

well this thing depends upon at which level u are joining company.

if u are joining as fresher then no need to take any tension. lot of time will be there to get used to process, and mostly u will be given redy made material, just u have to execute them in a predefined way. so in few days u will get used to it.

but if u are managing experience, then in that case it all depends, upon the company u are joining, the desgnation, the years of exp., availability of projects, no. of members in team, members co-ordination, and various other things.

but most important thing in this case is that, u have to be a fast learner. and one important thing i will tell u, in software field, never repeat the mistakes.
    if u did some mistake today, it should never happen again.

and with time, always update yourself otherwise u will be outdated.( so keep learning new thinngs in testing).

so do not take tension, companies will always give u time to get used to environment, and that is the time for u to make up if uare lacking something.

best wishes

RSY

Last edited by raghav_sy; 02-15-2007 at 09:13 AM.

Answers

Smile Re: please respond

Quote Originally Posted by rathi_pallavi View Post
    Hi
    i am new to testing , i want to know what exactly we have to do when we join as a tester in any company .Can anyone guide me and post any of their experiences.
    It is silly but curious to know what to do when we join any company as a tester from the first day, like what kind of stuff will be given etc..and what kind of interaction is required with manger etc..please respond. Thank you
    Hi Rathi,

First dont afraid about anything, dont loose your self confidence,
    do the following before join into any company,

gather information about your domain
    improve your communication skills,
    study more materials related to testing like test cases, test plan, requirement documents, builds, cvs etc. and your domail like banking, health care, networking, telecom .
    these are the initial steps you need to build your career.

regards,
    ayypss

Answers

thank everybody

i thank everyone who responded to my query.

Right now i am in search of jobs in testing, if possible can u tell me how i have to represent myself in personal interviews , like on what kind of things i should highlight. Do I need to give detailed answers to the question or single line, i am really confused about it because it might create wrong impression. I really appreciate if anyone can respond to this query.

thank you

Answers

Hi
    This is santosh
    send ur resume
    i will prepare ur resume

Answers

Re: thank everybody

Hey Pallavi,

Good Luck with your Job hunt.
    you should know how the Testing life cycle works,Testing methodologies. how to prepare/contents of Test plan , Test cases, different types of testing.Always give the detailed answers if possible quote some examples/scenarios.

Prasu

Contributing Member
    Answers

Hi,

No need to worry. They will be giving you an induction programming, explaining the company policy, various ongoing projects, etc.

Writing emails in a soft way would be an added advantage. because, you have to interact with the developers (ie, raising defects and assigning to them, etc). so, you should have diplomatic skill to express the defect in a very soft manner.

Answers

Re: thank everybody

In this forum we have a set of interview questions for each area of testing with answers. Go through them. They are pretty helpful. Be confident while answering the questions. Read good books about testing(manual and automated both). Good luck.

Answers

Hi Pallavi,

i'll tell the process when u join in a company as a fresher or experienced,
    After getting joined in a company, obviously u have to attend the Induction programme irrespective of experience. After that, there will be a department which will allocate a project or client interviews to u or they directly ask u to meet the Project manager or Project Leader or TL to join a project.
    If u attend any interviews of clilent they'll ask ur skills, and they'll explain about their project briefly and ask ur opinion to work on this project?
    if u say YES they'll absorb u in to their project.

Initially, when u go to that project, there will be a introduction session. u have to say about your self in that meeting and all team members will be introduced to you. After that there may be a sessions on project simultaneously they ask u to go through the documents like FRS, SRS ........
    U can raise queries if u doesn't understand the points in SRS... U can also ask doubts, and they (TL or PL) will clarify those doubts. After getting a proper idea on the functionalities of the project, they'll ask u to start writing test cases, simultaneously developers write code for that application. They'll give some target (no. of test cases) depending on the functionality.

Put all your effors to create good test cases which should cover all the scenarios and functionalities. and u'll start executing test cases once u receive the build from dev team. After that, logging bugs, verifying bugs, taking appropriate action on those bugs, like closing or reopening the bugs. after executing all the test cases more than one time on different builds, testing will be concluded. and signoff the project. In between these stages so much activities will be taken place.
    I have explaiend very briefly which will be useful to the guys like u.

Thanks

Contributing Member
    Answers

Smile when we join as a tester

i want to know what exactly we have to do when we join as a tester
    (fresher or experience)in any company .Can anyone guide me and post
    any of their experiences.
    It is silly but curious to know what to do when we join any company
    as a tester from the first day, like what kind of stuff will be given etc..and what kind of interaction is required with manger etc..please respond

Expert Member
    Answers

Re: when we join as a tester

After joining as a test engineer (do the following in that order)

* Understand the project from SRS and try to write some test cases until SDDs are ready.
    * Thoroughly go thru SDDs and write more and more test cases.
    * Categorize the test cases to be implemented manually or by automation testing techniques (follow a policy to do that).
    * Conduct reviews and increase/improve test cases and test case categorization until the initial build is ready.
    * After getting the build, start implementing test cases on the build.
    * Track the defects/bugs and report to the development team.
    * Implement regression testing after the build is modified and the reported defects/bugs are resolved.
    * This is a continuous process.

Lack of WILL POWER has caused more failure than
    lack of INTELLIGENCE or ABILITY.

-sutnarcha-

Contributing Member
    Answers

Thanks for your valuable reply. I am confuse a little bit. I want more explanation. Pls provide me more explanation.
    We write some functionality test cases from SRS.
    SDD is Software design document and From SDDs we write GUI test cases only.
    I donot know much about SDD. If you any SRS or SDD pls send me.
    * Thoroughly go thru SDDs and write more and more test cases.
    How do we decide which test cases to be implemented manually or automation.
    How we conduct reviews?

I want to know what kind of interaction is required with manger, team lead etc..please respond

Actually i am new in this field I want to ask you If i send you my answers to verify Will you verify it?

If you know any book for winrunner or for writing test cases pls let me know.

Answers

hi,
    when u get into a company, if you are lucky enough you will be given a KT(knowledge Transfer) session by your senior about the project, then later on you will be assigned with a module to which you will be writing all sort of Testcases.. after writing Testcases, based on the importance of the functionality of the module you will decide which are the testcases to be categorised under smoke, functional, regression testcases.. since checking for the basic functionality is very repeatitive (i.e., smoking testcases) you go for automation..

Answers

Hi Sakshi,
    I understand your feelings to know more and more about what is the exact seen you will see when you join in any company.
    Let me tell you my experience when I joined as a tester in my company..From this you can get the idea of what happened what should be happened in your career beginnings..
    On very first day of my joining I had an introduction session with my manager..
    then he introduced me to individual team member..
    As I was fresher (was lucky also) manager had not assigned me any work for the first day.. so that was just the introduction and chatting session with colleague.. From second day I got some project docs to read..and then the hands on overview of the project .. Manager gave me a week to understand the application as a whole by exploration testing..When I understood the complete application I was assigned with some live modules to test ..to write test cases...and all that stuff...

But the beginning experience was the best.. but for this you should have that kind of manager, if you are lucky enough!!!

So do not get confused .. stay cool.. do every thing by asking to your seniors.. ask them if you have not understand any point..do the assigned work sincerely..
    and then you are IN!!!!

Feel free to ask me if you are facing any testing query...
    Best of luck
    Vijay.

Expert Member
    Answers

sakshi_2801,

SRS and SDD are the confidential documents of the s/w development company. These documents are protected under data and information security policies and we are liable for any theft of information from SRS and SDD. So sending you a copy of SRS or SDD is impossible.

Information on decision making for categorization of test cases into manual and automation is already available in other threads in GeekTalk. So, search for it. By doing so, you will get to know a lot of things other then just what you want to know. And all such information will be useful during your day-to-day activities at work.

Answers to all your questions are available in GeekTalk. You just have to search it. If you have anything in particular that you don’t find in GeekTalk, just PM me or create a new thread in the appropriate forum, I will try and answer it.

There is no particular book for WinRunner/QTP/Writing test cases. You may find something that will teach you basics of s/w testing process with a chapter or 2 for WinRunner and QTP. WinRunner and QTP can be learned better from their help manuals and Writing test cases comes by practice. Just try to write test cases to test your daily used things like Mobile Phone, Washing Machine, Watch, ATM machine etc etc. That’s exactly what we did when we learned testing.

Lack of WILL POWER has caused more failure than
    lack of INTELLIGENCE or ABILITY.

-sutnarcha-

Expert Member
    Answers

Hi
    First thing I would suggest is Learn & grab as much as you can. Coz once you are put into project there isnt any time for learning anymore.
    Second initially be thorough with Manual Testing completely, then try moving to Automation Testing.
    Later try working in Diff apllication, environments & then with diff Automation Tools

Answers

Quote Originally Posted by rathi_pallavi View Post
    Hi
    Hi Pallavi and other friends also,

Whenever we join as a fresher in any company we get so much time to understand the environment and everyone help us.So, never worry about first day, just be cool and join the company with confidence as per my experience.

Regards,
    Brijesh Jain
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Connect with me on Skype: jainbrijesh
    Google Plus : jainbrijeshji