Thread: Distinguishing mixed testcases

Expert Member
    Answers

Distinguishing mixed testcases

What is the document called which stores information about automated testcases. Basically need to know if we have 100 testcases out of which 85 are manual and 15 are to be automated. Then how to distinguish between them.

NOTE : [This question was asked by rambh80]

Answers

Re: Distinguishing mixed testcases

Test design specification document clearly specify what we will test manually and what will be tested using automated tools.

Regards,
    Brijesh Jain
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Connect with me on Skype: jainbrijesh
    Google Plus : jainbrijeshji

Expert Member
    Answers

Well, I don't know what that document is called , also I do not have enough input to answer the second question.

As far as I know, whichever test case need to be automated should be decided by the tester(I might be wrong) based on the type of test case... And the number of test cases in the document should never be a concern there... Or it shouldn't even matter if some are to be manual tested and some automated.

Brijesh, more info on this can not be provided as the question was asked by a visitor...

Cheers!
    -Kalayama

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="2"]"If you are not living on the edge of your life, you are wasting space"[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Someone says "Impossible is nothing". The man next him says "Let me see you licking your elbow tip!"

Expert Member
    Answers

As far as I know there is no separate document that stores information about automated test cases.

Actually, there need not be a separate document for it. The test management tool that we may use (Quality Center / Test Director / M S Excel) can help us filter and separate the automated test cases from manual test cases.

We have a property for the test cases called ‘execution type’ that describes whether it is a manual or an automation test case.

Lack of WILL POWER has caused more failure than
    lack of INTELLIGENCE or ABILITY.

-sutnarcha-

Answers

Tester has to decide which test cases need to be automated based on the knowledge on the functionality.

Normally, we select some test cases fot automation like test cases which need to be run every time(eg: login) and we have one cloumn in which we give status as auotmaion or manual.

Quote Originally Posted by sutnarcha View Post
    As far as I know there is no separate document that stores information about automated test cases.

Actually, there need not be a separate document for it. The test management tool that we may use (Quality Center / Test Director / M S Excel) can help us filter and separate the automated test cases from manual test cases.

We have a property for the test cases called ‘execution type’ that describes whether it is a manual or an automation test case.