Thread: Oracle 10g - Express Edition

Expert Member
    Answers

Oracle 10g - Express Edition

Did you know that Oracle 10g Express edition is free for download?
    It is very useful for programmers like us and also for small business owners.
    It has ALL the features of Oracle 10g standard Edition except the following.
    1)It can utilize only 1GB of RAM
    2)It can utilize only one Processor in a multiprocessor system
    3)The database size limit is 4GB

Otherwise all the features of 10g are present in this!!!!

(It has been some time since they came up with this. Whatever I like this concept )

Here's the link.
    http:// www . oracle.com/technology/software/products/database/xe/index.html
    (I've downloaded and installed at home. It works like a beauty. But I've uninstalled it now and am using SQL Server 2005 Express(Which is also free!) for my database testing purposes as Oracle didn't have any mercy on my PC's RAM. It used to suck up all my RAm which SQL Server when idle uses less than 10times the RAM needed for Oracle!!!)

Anyway, Give it a try.
    Have fun!

Cheers,
    Kalayama

Last edited by admin; 06-17-2012 at 08:49 AM.
    [COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="2"]"If you are not living on the edge of your life, you are wasting space"[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Someone says "Impossible is nothing". The man next him says "Let me see you licking your elbow tip!"

Administrator
    Answers

Re: Oracle 10g - Express Edition

Quote Originally Posted by kalayama View Post
    Did you know that Oracle 10g Express edition is free for download?
    It is very useful for programmers like us and also for small business owners.
    It has ALL the features of Oracle 10g standard Edition except the following.
    1)It can utilize only 1GB of RAM
    2)It can utilize only one Processor in a multiprocessor system
    3)The database size limit is 4GB

Otherwise all the features of 10g are present in this!!!!

(It has been some time since they came up with this. Whatever I like this concept )

Here's the link.
    http://www.oracle.com/technology/sof.../xe/index.html
    (I've downloaded and installed at home. It works like a beauty. But I've uninstalled it now and am using SQL Server 2005 Express(Which is also free!) for my database testing purposes as Oracle didn't have any mercy on my PC's RAM. It used to suck up all my RAm which SQL Server when idle uses less than 10times the RAM needed for Oracle!!!)

Anyway, Give it a try.
    Have fun!

Cheers,
    Kalayama
    I still use Oracle 9i... since we are still working on upgrade plan for Oracle 10g.... hope to see the new version in production in few months or so....

we tried once .. upgrade did not go well because of other Genesys related products... if any one wondering what Genesys is ... it's Computer Telephone Integration used by call centers...

Administrator
    Answers

here are Oracle 10g tutorials if any one is interested in learning ...

Oracle 10g DBA - Free Training

Answers

Admin the link you gave oracle 10g dba tutorials are good the screenshots were helpful i refered "creating database using database configuration assistant (dbca)" tutorial and was glad it made my work so simpler and easier...

Expert Member
    Answers

My intention of posting the link was, if anyone needs Oracle 10g for practising, they don't need to BUY it or Borrrow it. They can get it for free...

The subsequent posts never seemed to get that point. Hence I am repeating. The link was not for any tutorial or documentation. It was for aquiring Oracle 10g free of cost!

-Kalayama

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="2"]"If you are not living on the edge of your life, you are wasting space"[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Someone says "Impossible is nothing". The man next him says "Let me see you licking your elbow tip!"