Thread: Unit Testing

Answers

Unit Testing

Does unit testing come under Whitebox testing or Blackbox testing? Is it verification or validation?

Note: [This question was asked by TestWise]

Expert Member
    Answers

Re: Unit Testing

It’s a part of white box testing. By implementing unit testing we are confirming(validating) that the program code is efficient.

Expert Member
    Answers

Unit testing comes under both white box testing and black box testing. If you see the uses of Black box testing and white box testing, you will see unit testing in both.

Unit testing is defined as a procedure to validate individual units or modules of the source code.

(Hence obviously, unit testing is a validation method)

Cheers,
    Kalayama

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="2"]"If you are not living on the edge of your life, you are wasting space"[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Someone says "Impossible is nothing". The man next him says "Let me see you licking your elbow tip!"

Answers

Unit testing comes under white box testing.It is totally validation.

Expert Member
    Answers

Well, as far as I know Unit Testing can also be black box testing because ieach unit can be treated as a black box.

For further refference here are the wikipedia link for these topics.

Unit testing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

White box testing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Black box testing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="2"]"If you are not living on the edge of your life, you are wasting space"[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Someone says "Impossible is nothing". The man next him says "Let me see you licking your elbow tip!"

Answers

kalayama, you are right but in general if developer is doing testing, what you will call it?

It may be black box, but it called white box.

Unit testing is done by developers generally, rarely there are testers for unit testing.

I thing you are getting me, still i am agree that unit testing is black box also.

If you or me will go to deep then it will not a disscussion, it will be a ego to win.

Expert Member
    Answers

cool guys.... we are just discussing...

Unit testing is one of the initial levels of testing usually performed by the developers but if the requirement urges for (based on the complexity) we got to do "unit black box testing" where the testers come into picture...

Say we have a module built by developers which is very very complex... then in such situations they finish the uunit testing and request the leads to allow a black box testing on that particular module or unit... before integrating the code to the entire system or the final build... So in these situations the seniors like senior test eng or test leads com in and perform an adhoc black box testing on the module usually called the "unit black box testing".

here its difficult to say whether unit testing is a part of white box or black box testing...

But as the terms are broadly generalised and used we say unit and integration testing are part of white box testing and the system/build level testing is black box testing.

hope this clears it up...

Expert Member
    Answers

Well jainbrijesh. I have absolutely no experience as test engineer. I am trying to learn things here. Hence there is a high possibility that I speak theoritically. There is no EGO here.

Yes. You are right that unit testing is done by the one who codes. (I do unit testing for my own code. ). Clear me on this while defining White box testing and black box testing, is the factor that who tests counts? Like can we generalize and say the tests conducted by Coder is white box testing? (Exclude the extreme cases where the coder might be a part of the test team.)

PS : Remember, all we are trying to do here is to learn things and make ourselves better individuals. If I sounded Egoistic anywhere in my postings, I beg million pardons. No. That was never intended.

Again, I say, my postings might need correction. I portray my opions based on the little knowledge I have.

Let the argument/fight be for knowledge. It might as well be fun

bhavni, it was a real good post from you in the right time.
    jainbrijesh Your post has mode the discussion more mature. It was good posting from your side. We have learnt a lot because of extended discussion. (Atleast I have!)

Let's keep posting and have fun!

Cheers,
    -Kalayama

Last edited by kalayama; 12-08-2006 at 10:25 AM.

Answers

Unit Testing is performed by using the White Box Testing method.

When is it performed?

Unit Testing is the first level of testing and is performed prior to Integration Testing.

Who performs it?

Unit Testing is normally performed by software developers themselves or their peers. In rare cases it may also be performed by independent software testers.

BENEFITS:
    -> Unit testing increases confidence in changing/maintaining code.
    -> Codes are more reusable.Development is faster.
    -> The cost of fixing a defect detected during unit testing is lesser in comparison to that of defects detected at higher levels.
    -> Debugging is easy. When a test fails, only the latest changes need to be debugged.
    -> Codes are more reliable.

Answers

Unit testing is a white box testing because here you are testing the code itself in units. And of-course it is a validation because here you are not doing any static doc testing but testing the application itself.

Thanks
    Raj

Last edited by admin; 11-05-2012 at 06:43 AM.

Answers

Unit testing is come under the white box testing and its performed by Developers. Its used to validate the code before they enter the code into code repository .

Answers

Unit testing – developers does the Testing the individual component of the code.
    • The software is being developed the different components or units of code have to be developed by different developers for functionalities which are assigned to them and then they have to be tested.

• Unit Testing is comes under White Box Testing. Also it’s verification Process.

Validation means it is Quality Assurance Process. Assurance means whether the functionality is pass/Fail.
    E.g. User checks the Car functioning properly or not. It means user checks Car assembled parts integrated properly or not in order to function.

Verification means it is Quality Control process. Here corrective action to be taken,
    E.g. Car steering is not working properly; in this case developer takes corrective action on steering why it’s not working?

Last edited by shammu; 11-12-2013 at 07:27 AM.

very good answer

Well,well we have seen so many answers so i want to give a reliable and versatile definition

"unit testing is process of evaluating the source code in order nullify the errors in the code and it will done by splitting the entire source code in to some small units..mostly it will be done by developers and it is initial phase of testing(sounds funny na generally testers need to test the application but developer will start the testing phase from start to give some boost to the testing team) it is done by the developer we can say it is a white box testing in a initial phase moving further tests to process unit black box testing arises it will done by senior test leads.."of course i am one of them. so u can say unit testing is a confusing and co incidental diplomatic and u can also called it as mind twisted

Unit testing is a software development process in which the smallest testable parts of an application are individually tested to check for their proper functionality.It comes under white box testing.