Thread: How can we quantify adhoc testing?

Answers

How can we quantify adhoc testing?

Hi frndzz

I was asked this question in an interview. while doing Adhoc testing we will not follow any standard format or test case, so how we answer to this question?

How can we quantify adhoc testing?

If any one have any idea please let me know

Thanks,
    Naina

Contributing Member
    Answers

Re: How can we quantify adhoc testing?

hi,

Well i feel adhoc testing needs to be categorized as :-
    Time - Depends on the time alloted for testing if more time more adhoc testing
    Risk - Both Cost as well as performance
    and mainly
    Vulnerability - Adhoc test at a functionality feature/area where the application is most vunerable .

Thanks
    Sabarish

Answers

can we quantify adhoc testing in real environment?

Me too confused

Regards,
    Brijesh Jain
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Connect with me on Skype: jainbrijesh
    Google Plus : jainbrijeshji

Contributing Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jainbrijesh View Post
    can we quantify adhoc testing in real environment?

Me too confused
    I feel the answer is Yes. Adhoc testcases can be quantified.

Lets take a scenario here.
    I have a web application, with me i have 15 testers and 1 day of adhoc testing time alloted.
    Each test engineer can be alloted specific functionality areas of the application to be tested. So we have 15 member team working on 15 different areas of the application.
    As per standard i believe each member can execute around 40 (manual) testcases, as we target for adhoc testcases lets take 30 testcases. Hence 15*30 = 450 testcases or lets say atleat 300 adhoc scenarios can be tested.

Best part would be reporting these adhoc testcases as well as the bugs to be reported.

As i quoted earlier in this thread categorizing the adhoc testing is important. we can estimate a quantity but in real time fluctuations are always there.

Regards
    Sabarish S

Answers

Quote Originally Posted by sabariish View Post
    I feel the answer is Yes. Adhoc testcases can be quantified.

Lets take a scenario here.
    I have a web application, with me i have 15 testers and 1 day of adhoc testing time alloted.
    Each test engineer can be alloted specific functionality areas of the application to be tested. So we have 15 member team working on 15 different areas of the application.
    As per standard i believe each member can execute around 40 (manual) testcases, as we target for adhoc testcases lets take 30 testcases. Hence 15*30 = 450 testcases or lets say atleat 300 adhoc scenarios can be tested.

Best part would be reporting these adhoc testcases as well as the bugs to be reported.

As i quoted earlier in this thread categorizing the adhoc testing is important. we can estimate a quantity but in real time fluctuations are always there.

Regards
    Sabarish S
    I have to agree with Sabarish...Having been a Software Test Engineer for 7yrs. I have found a good number of defects via adhoc testing that have become testcases.

Answers

I agree to with Sabarish... The tests are intended to be run only once , unless a defect is discovered. Ad hoc testing is a part of exploratory testing, being the least formal of test methods. Ad hoc can also have connotations of a inadequate planning, or improvised events. Its usually assigned 1 hr to test the application as a blind user and crash it and find bugs.

Expert Member
    Answers

hi sabarish

nice explanation..

Thanks
    Deepasree