Thread: A Suggestion.

Expert Member
    Answers

A Suggestion.

The threads in all the forums are displayed based on their updated time. Some times few unanswered threads are moved out of the first page due to this. This makes them remains unanswered until otherwise a user has interest to move to the next page. But these threads should have more priority as the latest answered threads. Here is a simple suggestion to resolve this.

Every forum can have two lists of threads,

The first list has answered threads sorted on updated date

The second list has the list of unanswered threads

This arrangement would make more sense since it will display both unanswered thread as well as latest updated threads.

Please incorporate this if it is feasible.

Thanks,
    James.

Administrator
    Answers

Re: A Suggestion.

James,

For each forum there are sort options

sort by Thread
    sort by Last Post
    sort by Replies
    sort by Views

Let me know if you are looking for any other feature...

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by jamesravid View Post
    The threads in all the forums are displayed based on their updated time. Some times few unanswered threads are moved out of the first page due to this. This makes them remains unanswered until otherwise a user has interest to move to the next page. But these threads should have more priority as the latest answered threads. Here is a simple suggestion to resolve this.

Every forum can have two lists of threads,

The first list has answered threads sorted on updated date

The second list has the list of unanswered threads

This arrangement would make more sense since it will display both unanswered thread as well as latest updated threads.

Please incorporate this if it is feasible.

Thanks,
    James.

Expert Member
    Answers

Whenever an user opens a forum the first list he should see is list of unanswered questions. This way we can enable every user to see the unanswered question and hence increase the probability of getting them answered. I am looking for this feature because most users does not prefer to go beyond the first page.

The sort options provided order the questions in descending order by default. So 'sort by Replies' will displays the questions which has more replies in the first page and all the unanswered questions are moved to the last page of the result.

All Unanswered questions should be given more preference than the answered questions.

--James.

Expert Member
    Answers

It does make sense sometimes but not always. I mean inforums like BrainTeasers it's good this way. But, in dicussion forums, time based display is better.

Cheers,
    Kalayama

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="2"]"If you are not living on the edge of your life, you are wasting space"[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Someone says "Impossible is nothing". The man next him says "Let me see you licking your elbow tip!"

Contributing Member
    Answers

I like to give my vote for James suggestion. Sorting to be done on list of unanswered questions. This would enable active users participatin and also help emmebsr posting threads to get their answers cleared by other acvtive members making the real usage of forums.

Expert Member
    Answers

It is rightly showing the 'recent post first' order by default.

The only change that would benifit all is, increase the number of threads that are shown in each page (specially first page). Default should be atleast 100.

Lack of WILL POWER has caused more failure than
    lack of INTELLIGENCE or ABILITY.

-sutnarcha-

Expert Member
    Answers

Well Sutnarcha, James does have a point there. If there are to many active threads, unanswered threads tend to go down the list and lie there as people will be interested in "Happening things".

What you say makes sense. We should display more threads in a page. (We are displaying some 25 or so I guess...)

For some of the forums like Brainteasers, the default could be made unanswered first. Not for technical threads.

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="2"]"If you are not living on the edge of your life, you are wasting space"[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Someone says "Impossible is nothing". The man next him says "Let me see you licking your elbow tip!"

Administrator
    Answers

please take a look now ...

http://www.geekinterview.com/talk/brainteasers/

un-answered should be listed first by default...

Administrator
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by sutnarcha View Post
    It is rightly showing the 'recent post first' order by default.

The only change that would benifit all is, increase the number of threads that are shown in each page (specially first page). Default should be atleast 100.
    if we make 100 per page .. takes some time to load the page ... users on borad band is okay but for others with low connection speeds will be a problem... and also it will be more bandwidth usage

Expert Member
    Answers

So, this problem can’t be solved with just one solution. We have to implement multiple solutions. We have 2 of them in hand (described below) and we should continue the thought process to get more ideas. Contributions from other members would be appreciated.

1) As Kalayama said, we should be able to categorize the forums into ‘recent post first’ or ‘oldest post first’ or ‘unanswered post first’ or ‘best post first (ranked by viewers not the original poster)’ etc… and the default order should be highlighted at the top of main page of each forum.

2) I do agree that a default of 100 threads in a page would be too high and the systems may tend to go slow (especially for users with low connection speed). The other solution to this is an option ‘Per Page’ like in “Who’s Online” page of Geeks Talk. If the same can be implemented in the main pages of each forum (both at the top and at the bottom, not seen at the top in “Who’s Online” page) then it would be handy for all users.

So, continue to think about it for more ideas.

Administrator
    Answers

just started programming ... added a link navigation bar "Un-Answered" should show all the Un-Answered posts ....

next step is to get it working by forum basis....

Administrator
    Answers

should work now ....

Un-Answered link from navbar or Un-Answered Questions on Forum and thread listings..... shows threads with no replies depending on the forum you are browsing....

let me know if there is anything we need to change ...

Thanks ....