Thread: Upload multiple test cases from Excel

Answers

Upload multiple test cases from Excel

Hi,

I m trying to upload multiple test cases from Excel to TD for the first time.
    I have installed the EXCEL add in and it works. But somehow, though I have multiple test cases in excel, the ADD In only uploads the first test cases, the others are ignored.

Can anybody help to tell me why this happens?
    I have created subjects in test plan and this 1 test case is parked in the right Subject.

So why the others are missing?

Re: Upload multiple test cases from Excel

The error would have happened due to many reasons. Check whether the following have been correctly
    1. The path mentioned in the subject should exists in the Test Director.
    2. The Test Name should not contain any special characters
    3. The columns should be correctly mapped to the column name in the quality center.
    Try uploading after rectifying the above steps it may works!!!

Contributing Member
    Answers

Hi,
    The above mentioned points are reasons for getting error while uploading.Even check the fields in excel as well as in QC and even the values in fields should exist in QC like Designer column..the names under this in excel should be same as in QC..else will get error designer doesn't exist.Even same with priority etc

Banned
    Answers

The next step in the methodology is to turn reusable modules into automated test cases. Here, the automation engineer takes a well-structured manual test case and begins scripting it out, creating reusable modules as he goes. The goal here is to build the reusable modules in a very methodical manner. The action-response pairs from the test case are scripted into reusable modules. These pairs also determine the size or granularity of a reusable module, which generally consist of just one action-response pair. This becomes important later, for determining the scope and cost of the automation project. A single reusable modules generally takes one to three hours to script and carefully unit test. The average automated test case requires around twenty to thirty reusable modules to complete.

Automating test cases in this manner allows the testing system to take on a very predictable structure. One benefit of this predictability is the ability to begin building the automated testing system from the requirements early in the software testing life cycle.

Answers

Apart from above mentioned reasons , do remember to keep one blank row in between test cases in excel,
    also give the correct path name in each test case column name