Thread: Can I generate 10,000 vusers at a time in my system?

Geek_Guest

Can I generate 10,000 vusers at a time in my system?

For web appliaction I have got licenced for 10,000 users; Can I generate 10,000 vusers at a time in my system? if not then what is the max numbers of vusers? if scripts are available please do send me.Thanks in advance.
    Srikanth

Question asked by visitor Srikanth

Contributing Member
    Answers

Re: Can I generate 10,000 vusers at a time in my system?

If you are licensed for 10,000 vusers, you have the ability to start a scenario that runs a maximum of 10,000 vusers at one time.

Running 10,000 vusers will require several loadgenerators to do.

Please note that LoadGenerators do have limits. These limits are defined when setting up the scenario. In the design tab, click on Generators, (choose the generator), click details, click Vuser Limits tab.

(Also) Try not to use your machine as a Load Generator.

Answers

Anshoo_Arora (Also) Try not to use your machine as a Load Generator.

If dont use the load generator what can i use? Also how did you see up the 10,.000 user in loadrunner can you send me the steps. Seem to me the QA perf tester cannot seem to create 100 users we have to physicall tell users to log on 200 times - what is the purpose of the tool if we cannot stimulate 10,000 user

Contributing Member
    Answers

I believe Anshoo_Arora means to use a dedicated machine to use as a load generator. It should not be the same machine the Controller is running on and it should not be the machine you use to create Vuser scripts.

If you have a dedicated machine, more system resources can be used to run vusers, therefore, you can run more vusers at one time on that load generator.

As to why you can only run 100 vusers at a time, are you getting an error when you try to run more? If so, what is the error?

Answers

Yes, it's possible to do this. Last May we ran 10K+ user load tests against an Oracle Forms application using the Web and Oracle NCA protocols. We used 7 load generators to spread the vusers across. The load generators were Dell PowerEdge 860's with dual core processors and could handle approximately 1500 to 2000 users processing at a normal production pace which was quite slow, but did simulate how users would process in the system. We also used IP Spoofing to allow the load balancer to evenly distribute the connections amongst the web farm. In order to do the IP Spoofing you need to ask your system admin's to supply you with a string of unique IP addresses (I think we had about 100 or so ip addresses) that you can use. Create a parameter in each script for the ip addresses. Then you need to create a function in your scripts which point to the ip_address parameter so the script knows which ip addresses it can use. I know this is probably a little confusing, but it's actually quite easy to setup.

Last edited by GregF; 08-25-2008 at 10:37 AM.