Thread: Can QTP while create a checkpoint during runtime

Geek_Guest

Can QTP while create a checkpoint during runtime

I need to insert a checkpoint while the script is running (not recording).
    The problem is to compare an output from prev version to current. But the
    with every release the checkpoints created change, so changing checkpoints manually will be time consuming. So I need to know, can QTP while create a checkpoint during runtime.

Thanks
    Imran

Question asked by visitor Imran

Contributing Member
    Answers

Re: Can QTP while create a checkpoint during runtime

In such cases i always suggest you to use VBScript to do the same as that will be a permanent solution if your objects are not changing,
    Please let me know if you have any Q on how you can do this in VBScript.

What kind of an object is it?

Expert Member
    Answers

Hi,

It would be best that you programatically compare the Output value rather than trying to use a Runtime Checkpoint etc.

Since you have not specified as to what Object value you are trying to capture as output, Only a generic suggestion is possible.

Use a string array or incase it is only one single value a single variable to store the output value. While executing the run for the current version, compare the output value against this array or Variable.

Cheers..

Answers

You have not specified what kind of object you have to put the checkpoint on. If its like that you have to check the number of links on a webpage or check for the broken links or HTML tags or images on the web page, you can do so by making changes in the OPTIONS in the TOOL menu. Click on the WEB tab and then click on the ADVANCED button. Under the automatic page check point you can select as desired.

Answers

It would be easier if it can handles in following way

1) Create Two global variables in header file
    2) Use that variable to store current value in one of the variable as soon as you will capture that value using checkpoint
    3) at the end of script compare that value with old value stored in 2nd variable
    (Above case will give problem when you run script first time as 2nd variable doesn't have value)
    4) After comparing variables pass current value to 2nd variable, which can be used to compare that value in next iteration

Regards,
    Kaustubh K. Konkar

Using "GetROProperty" is the simplest approach for your problem.
    I have done dynamic runtime data checking with some Vb scripts functions + GetROproperty combination
    If you could let me know what is the Type of checkpoint u are trying to insert
    I can explain a little more.

Using Built in checkpoints of QTP will not help you long way..
    Please try to use DP + QTP data table for doing the same..

Answers

hii

I am trying to read data from excel and then compare the checkpoint from that data. I have stored the data properly in one variable for each iteration but while cehcking in checkpoint for each iteration its reading the samevalue as per recording.
    Is it some how possible that inchekpoint i can insert the runtime calue from excel and then check point compare with application value.
    In the checkpoint I used Environment and the variable name storing at each iteration but after that also checkpoint is reading the same value as per recording.

Its great if someone can help on this or suggest something.

Thanks,
    Rahul

Expert Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by rahulverma3 View Post
    hii

I am trying to read data from excel and then compare the checkpoint from that data. I have stored the data properly in one variable for each iteration but while cehcking in checkpoint for each iteration its reading the samevalue as per recording.
    Is it some how possible that inchekpoint i can insert the runtime calue from excel and then check point compare with application value.
    In the checkpoint I used Environment and the variable name storing at each iteration but after that also checkpoint is reading the same value as per recording.

Its great if someone can help on this or suggest something.

Thanks,
    Rahul
    Hai rahul,

Really can't get what you are saying. Tell me precisely else attach the screen shot will try to help you out as much as I can.

Thanks
    Deepa

Arise Awake And Stop Not Till The Goal Is Reached