Thread: Backup of Database

Contributing Member
    Answers

Exclamation Backup of Database

I have heard about backups of database. I wanted to know whether people take backups of table space also while doing maintenance of database. If so why is that taken? Can someone tell me about this interesting fact.

Expert Member
    Answers

Re: Backup of Database

Backups are taken for "Database Recovery". With out backups you can't recover database.

Answers

Backup of database can be taken in hot mode or cold mode in cold backup the database is shutdown properly and then backup of datafiles and controlfile is taken, but in hot bakup the database has to be in archivelog mode and then backup of tablespaces are taken one by one by giving the command alter tablespace T1 begin backup;
    then all the datafiles concerned with this tablespace is copied. after that we have to meke the tablespace into end backup mode, and all arhived log generated in this process is also copied so that recovery is possible.
    backup of tablespace is taken to safeguard in case of media failure occured.

Contributing Member
    Answers

Ohh so there are types of modes in backups of database.Very interesting to know.Is it that all only a database administrator takes backups of database in both the modes.