Thread: Functions in stdlib.h

Contributing Member
    Answers

Functions in stdlib.h

Can someone highlight me on the functions present in stdlib.h. I think there is a function called as system in stdlibh. Could someone tell the purpose or the usage of this function also?

Expert Member
    Answers

Re: Functions in stdlib.h

Norman I am not aware about the system function mentioned by you. Hope we get to know about this in discussion by someone. But I could tell some of the functions I am aware of present in stdlib.h . They are namely atoi, atof, atol, calloc, malloc, getenv, putenv. There are of course numerous other functions preset in stdlibh.

Expert Member
    Answers

Thumbs up Re: Functions in stdlib.h

system() is used to issue system command .
    it's prototype is present in stdlib.h
    on success it returns 0 else it returns a -1.
    System() accepts string as an argument
    it's prototype is :
    int system(const char *command);

Answers

system() is present in stdlib.h
    It is used to execute subprocesss and commands inside a program.
    These are passed in the form of string as paramater.

int system(const char *command);

it will return -1 on faliure but behaviour may change under some conditions.

Contributing Member
    Answers

Your handy C reference manual should list all of the library functions for each header; if it doesn't, get a better one (I use "C: A Reference Manual" by Samuel Harbison & Guy Steele, currently 5th edition).

You can also find the list of library functions in the online draft standard (.pdf file); see section 7.20.4.6 for a description of the system() function.