Thread: Association of C with UNIX

Contributing Member
    Answers

Association of C with UNIX

Hi,
    I have been hearing that C and UNIX are associated a lot. Is this true if so can somebody highlight me why is it so?
    Regards,
    Blenda

Contributing Member
    Answers

Re: Association of C with UNIX

Hi,
    There are lot many reasons for it. One of the reasons could be that C is a very convenient and efficient language for doing systems programming. It would be nice if someone could answer on this with an example to show how C and UNIX are associated
    Regards,
    Norman

Expert Member
    Answers

Hi,
    To add to this discussion one point is most of UNIX commands are written in C. But I could not figure out why is that. Let’s understand this by some interesting facts in this discussion.

Regards,
    RyanJames

Contributing Member
    Answers

Hi,
    This discussion figures out to be interesting giving lot of useful information. I have one more query related to this discussion which is does this relation of programming language C with UNIX which is a operating system means that output of C varies based on operating system. In other words does the output of C vary between UNIX and other operating systems like DOS?

Regards,
    Timmy

Contributing Member
    Answers

Hi,
    I could answer to the above discussion. It is possible to have different process through a since pipeline using the concept of process id. That is each process has a separate id called process id and using this the above can be achieved

Regards,
    Fred