Thread: Export 'All testcases at a time' from Mercury Quality Center

Geek_Guest

Export 'All testcases at a time' from Mercury Quality Center

Question asked by Visitor Abhijeet

hi,
    I want to export 'All testcases at a time' from Mercury Quality Center 9.0 to Excel.
    I have gone through all questions previously asked regarding this issue, but didnt found the answer.
    Could you please let me know, whether it is possible to export "All testCases at a time" from QC? and how?

Regards,
    Abhijeet

Contributing Member
    Answers

Re: Export 'All testcases at a time' from Mercury Quality Center

We can’t export to excel rather we can export all at a time to Word, which was a recent issue for me :-(

Answers

Hi guys i would like to know how do we export all test cases in test plan tab of quality center in word at a time. Anyways, i would like to differ that we cannot export all test cases at once in excel. Hers is how to do it - if you see the site admin tool in qc, you can see the qc db structure. You will see the tables that store the test cases (i think it is the 'steps' table that stores the test cases steps). In case you have ms sql server 2005 as the backend db, open up query analyzer/ management studio dependent on the version, 'use db' the qc database, then query the qc db to create a table with the attributes you want to. You can then export these files in excel through sql server.

Contributing Member
    Answers

Hi Abhijeet,
    We can't export all Testcases from QC to excel sheet.If you want then we can export all sub steps under a Testcase at once to excel.If you want all Testcases from a folder then its not possible.If you want to use these Testcases as a reference purpose then you can generate a documnet by using Document Generation Option rather than exporting to excel sheet(ofcourse not possible).

Thanks
    Deepika.P

Answers

Hi Deepika,

can u tell us in steps of how we will export Test Cases -sub sets at a time to excel.

thanks in advance
    Pavani

Answers

Cool Re: Export 'All testcases at a time' from Mercury Quality Center

Hi,
    My name is krishna i want to download the excel files from the quality center but the main problem is the files size are huge and it take a lot of time is there any way to download or export the excel files in a quick way.

Thumbs up Re: Export 'All testcases at a time' from Mercury Quality Center

Hi, I am Pushpendra regarding question 'export testcases from QC to excel' is possible
    by using a tool name Juvander.
    U need to install this tool in ur machine but that u can use only for 15 days as this is a trial version.Cheers

Answers

Hi Everyone,

First thanks for ur above reply,however i founded out a procdure to download excel attachment and contingency plans with a single click.
    i would like to explain everyone about how to export contingency test plans and excel attachments from the selected test set or folder.

I mean we can download excel run attachment and contingency test plans from DOCUMENT GENERATOR from QC.
    If any one require the work flow mail me ur questions in this form.

Thanks,
    Chaitu

Answers

hi chaitu,

I want the workflow of how to download excel attachment and contingency plans with a single click.

Thanks
    Arandkar

Answers

Hi Arandkar,

Well this is as simple as it is.
    1.Open your QC (QualityCenter) and in the right side of the page u will find tools option click on it and u will see a option called document generator.
    2. The Document Generator window will appear from this window we can generate contingency test plans into a word document.
    3. If u want to download contingency test plans select test lab folder and select the respective options as per ur requirement, and finally click on Full Document button the QC will progress all the folders which u have selected and will export the contingency test plans into a word document.

If u still are not aware on how to do this u can find the help icon in the top right side corner if u click a new window will open where u can find about each and every option in details and how it works.

Well i tried my level best of write the flow of it but i dont have QC in my home so i cannot tell u excatly sorry about it.But dont worry its so simple just go through the help option and try generating some documents then u will get the result okay ENJOY.
    Regards,
    Chaitu

Last edited by banalachaitu; 03-23-2009 at 01:04 PM.

Answers

you need to create one macro to consolidate all test cases at one sheet. then make sure that Excel -addins are available...then highlite all test cases which are in consolidated Excel sheet and go to excel menu--tools--export to quality Center--provide qc credentials--select test (since you are going to upload test cases)-- map the excel columns with QC fields--finish.

that's it....

Answers

Hi Abhijeet,

To export all test cases at a time from Quality center to Excel:
    Go to test plan module-Grid view(view-test grid) of test plan module-right click on a testcase-click on Export-click on all (to export all)-Export selected grid data will appear-give a file name and select the type of file as Excel-click save.

Last edited by vanigo; 04-25-2011 at 11:29 PM.

Answers

Abhijeet,
    This will not export the test steps of each individual test cases,
    It will export all the titles, status, designer and description about the test cases.
    as Deepika said, its not possible to export all the test cases at once.
    But there is a chance if your developer team help you by giving an excel macro, which allows you to fetch test cases in bulk

Quote Originally Posted by vanigo View Post
    Hi Abhijeet,

To export all test cases at a time from Quality center to Excel:
    Go to test plan module-Grid view(view-test grid) of test plan module-right click on a testcase-click on Export-click on all (to export all)-Export selected grid data will appear-give a file name and select the type of file as Excel-click save.

Answers

That is not true, you can pull all test cases and any additional meta data you would like including TEST STEPS. Look at document generator, dependimg on the size and number of scripts it should be relatively quick.

Answers

Hello,

when you select the Plan type as QC webfront from any other type under Test plan module where some script are located then a error appears “ Access violation at address “ and QC gets crashed.. wts the problem and anyone has the solution. The error displayed is "“Access violation at address 0c6cf487 in module ‘QCCLI~1.OCX’.Read of address 0000005c.”

Answers

You can export all test cases in a single sheet. But for that you need to have Admin rights to QC. If you have admin rights then you can go to Tools --> Excel Reports and there you can write a SQL query which will fetch all the Test cases in a single sheet.