Thread: How fast ?????????????????

Expert Member
    Answers

Cool How fast ?????????????????

Hi,

A Lawyer can solve 32 math riddles per hour, and his friend Sam takes three hours to solve the same number. If they both work on them, how long will it take for them to solve 32 math riddles?

Solve it.

Regards

Nikhil Rattan

Expert Member
    Answers

Re: How fast ?????????????????

45 minutes...

Answers

plz explain the method manoj..

Answers

One hour only...
    I think solving maths riddle is not a physical work, hence we
    can't sum up thier efforts..
    They will work individually... and the Lawyer will get the result first.

Expert Member
    Answers

hi friends

Ans is 3/4 hours, or say 45 minutes.What manoj said!Those who say 1 hour, i think they are wrong.See, if one friend can solve 32 riddles in one hour ,and if someone also joins him then they together can solve it in less than 1 hr.

bye

:)
    NEVER SAY DIE.

Expert Member
    Answers

Well, iasritesh, I am really impressed by the way you think. IT is good to see someone who thinks oput of the box. If you ask me too I'd have told the same answer. There are multiple reasons for it. For example, Just because one solves 32 puzzles in an hour doesn't mean he takes exactly the same time to solve all the puzzles, isn't it?

But well, unfortunately one has to assume that all the puzzles can be solved in equal amount of time and also the sharing of the puzzles between the Lawyer and Sam is possible. Yes. It siounds rather dumb, but that's the way it is.

According to me both the answers 1hr and 45mins are right as both do not break any rules in the question asked.

Cheers!
    Kalayama

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="2"]"If you are not living on the edge of your life, you are wasting space"[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Someone says "Impossible is nothing". The man next him says "Let me see you licking your elbow tip!"

Expert Member
    Answers

Kalayama u r very wrong... i think in you would be knowing about resource management if u know that then u wont say like that... if u r going to finish a job in 1 hour then if i come and help u obviously the job will finish faster... no doubt in that... 1 hour is strictly wrong answer... concept followed everywhere is if u write anything think theoritically and if u do anything think practically... this concept was followed by Albert Einstein too...

The solution is

=32/60 + 32/180
    =32(1/60+1/180)
    =32(4/180)
    =32/45

so theoritically if both of them combine and do the same work it will finish in 45 minutes

Expert Member
    Answers

hi kalayam
    I appreciate the way iasritesh thought, but exact 1 hour answer seems to be wrong!

When some one ask such question,we have to take various things by default, no matter its physical work, or mental work!

I think many must have studied " Time and work problems", where we can find question like this.For eg" A can do a piece of work in X days,and b can do same work in Y days,and if they start working together,the work will be finished in lesser days (than the number of days taken by them individually)".

there we always assume that when they work together, they will handle the work with some sense.What i mean by sense is that they will do different works,so that they can finish the work early!here too we can think of a scenario, suppose the work was to dig 20 "5 feet long holes",then Mr A should start from one end and Mr B from the other.If we say that Mr b also starts from same end from which MR a started then he will end up digging it further.And the work wont be finished early.

Continued

NEVER SAY DIE.

Expert Member
    Answers

continued

similarly here also we have to assume the same 32 question are asked, and the lawyer starts solving from question number one,while sam starts from question number 32(or we can say they share the questions)!So i told it is less than one hour.If the question was asked in the sense in which you (iasritesh and kalayma )told then ,it was not a mathematical question, but it was made simply for fun, or you can say to refresh you!

bye

NEVER SAY DIE.

Expert Member
    Answers

I thought I made my point clear by posting
    But well, unfortunately one has to assume that all the puzzles can be solved in equal amount of time and also the sharing of the puzzles between the Lawyer and Sam is possible. Yes. It siounds rather dumb, but that's the way it is.
    See? I have already told that these will have to be assumed. We have been solving these kind of problems ever since we were in 7th Standard, isn't it? (That's when we "really" got into ratio and proportions stuff in algebra).
    Thanks for the explaination vmshenoy. I know it already. I just felt like appreciating a new dimension of thinking. It is not too nice a thing to suppress someone when he gives the wrong answer. Hence I posted the previous post.

Can you tell me which rule of the question was broken when iasritesh answered? I can find none!

PSI choose silence as answer for Manoj's post)

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="2"]"If you are not living on the edge of your life, you are wasting space"[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Someone says "Impossible is nothing". The man next him says "Let me see you licking your elbow tip!"

Expert Member
    Answers

Hi kalayama

Your way of thinking is Excellent! ITs nice that you should not suppress someone! But even i dont suppress anyone!(atleast i have never done it intentionally).Here too , i have appreciated the way he thought!I never told that he was wrong.He came up with very good answer!

But i only explained my answer with an eg!

hope you are getting me!

By the way, PLEASE tell me What does it mean "PSI choose silence as answer for Manoj's post)" .Is it related to me! If not, then no need to answer.

By the way,i appreciate the way you thought!

bye

NEVER SAY DIE.

Expert Member
    Answers

Well vmshenoy, I don't know why that bluish face came when I typed "I choose silence as answer to Manoj's post". No it was not related to you. I found Manoj's previous post a little offensive. But then again, we all argue aggressively when we get charged up. Hence I didn't want to add further heat there

Nothing personal. No offense intended to noone.
    It is nice that we are expressing ourselves nicely. A little aggression usually adds spice to the discussion. We are way too off topic now. In a quiz section, we are discussing too many things.

Suresh, feel free to delete my posts if they sound irrelevant.

Thanks.

Let us post more brainteasers. Let's have fun solving them.

Cheers!
    Kalayama

Expert Member
    Answers

Hey Kalayama,

Sorry yaar!!! i didnt mean any offensive feeling while writing that post... if my post hurts you then i'm asking sorry to you... i was just telling u the fact... and u asked know which rule in the question was broken then last sentence in the question seems to be broken when answer is 1 hour...

Have fun... dont be silence ...

Take Care
    Thanks
    Manoj

Answers

Extremely sorry for my wrong answer.
    But this is how we learn... we made mistakes and then learn... I don't think we should make issues when we are here to learn.

Expert Member
    Answers

hi iasritesh

Please dont mind at all! Your answer was brilliant!So no need to be sorry!

bye

NEVER SAY DIE.

Expert Member
    Answers

iasritesh, Don't be sorry. One, the way you were thinking was something different, the other, just because one gives wrong answer he doesn't need to be sorry.

Always, there is a very thin line of difference between between being unique and being odd. This world is flooded with paradoxes. I still consider your answer to be unique. Hence you are clean, you didn't commit any crime. Why should you be sorry? Fly high dude!

Manojks, I know you didn't mean to offend me. That's why I assumed silence regarding that issue. The point is if I had, posted something strong, we would have had 10 more heated posts.

This discussion has already stretched far too long. It is time we terminate it.

Suresh, guess you are out on "Pongal" holidays. Once you return kindly delete these off-topic posts.

The moral of the story, no harm done nowhere and to noone.

Cheers!
    Kalayama