Thread: Interrupt Signals Arriving at the Same Time

Contributing Member
    Answers

Interrupt Signals Arriving at the Same Time

What do you think will happen when two or three interrupt signals have been processed at the same time?

Expert Member
    Answers

Re: Interrupt Signals Arriving at the Same Time

Quote Originally Posted by blenda
    What do you think will happen when two or three interrupt signals have been processed at the same time?

I think this is how it happens .. An interrupt signal arriving at the processor during the first half of the execution of a test-and-set type instruction, does not make the processor initiate interrupt processing until the instruction is
    complete, that is, until the second half is executed.

Let me know if there is more explanation any one can add.. this is kind of complicated question...

Expert Member
    Answers

Re: Interrupt Signals Arriving at the Same Time

In a normal PC wherein the processes are in lists, the interrupt that will be processed will be according to the priority of the interrupt. To be specific, an interrupt that needs to be done for the computer to keep running will be the first to be done. The other interrupts that have come at the same will wait for the processor to finish the first interrupt. But when there are lots of interrupt, lets say 5 interrupts at once, the computer normally hangs up.

In a dual processor, I guess, the interrupts can be handled by allocating the interrupts to whatever processor is free or not too much busy.