Thread: Any possibility to move from testing to development

Expert Member
    Answers

Unhappy Any possibility to move from testing to development

Whether its possible to change my career from testing to development...
    What are the skills i need to have for that???
    Help needed???

Contributing Member
    Answers

Re: Any possibility to move from testing to development

Upgrade urself in any programming side.
    Choose the technology like networking, application projects, web designing etc that u want to move, choose any language based on that technology like C, C++, Java, .Net, PHP ASP, Animation designing etc and play with those. Even u r in testing, side by side if u upgrade urself in these lines, u can update ur resume confidently, which will lead to achieve ur aim.
    I am sure, there is a possibilities to move from testing to development, ... even only with the testing performance also (automating the testing using scripts will increase ur programming knowledge).

with Thanks and Regards,
    [B][I][COLOR="DarkRed"]Anushya.G[/COLOR][/I][/B]:)

Expert Member
    Answers

Thanks Anushya... I'm very worried that i chosen my career to be a tester... I'm not saying testing is not good... but i start my career as developer then it will be much better...

Answers

Hi everyone ,
    I am Mayank currently working as a software Test Engineer.

Regarding your wish to move from testing to development .
    I would like to inform you that it is only a myth that testing has no scope .
    Well agreed, Manual Testing is not very challenging, You need ot have knowledge of everything that needs to be done in the process of testing.

Once you get a good knowledge of manual testing you can always shift to automation,which is nearly programming.

Last edited by m_agar22; 02-09-2007 at 03:28 PM.

Expert Member
    Answers

I accept Agarwal testing is good but in order to start a career i think development is better than testing to gain more knowledge in the technical area, and in case of automation all the scripts are already available, my job is only to run those scripts which is not going to increase my skill...(i just saying what i'm facing now)...

Thanks
    Manoj

Expert Member
    Answers

It all depends on what you want Manoj. For a person who wants to eat Bananas, an apple -no matter how good it is- won't appeal. May be you were inclined towards development side, that's why you feel that you were better off in development side.

As m_agar22 rightly pointed out, there is nothing wrong with testing. You can have a great career in testing too. But my advice is, if you are interested in development, then go for it. (I don't know what is your experience level now. Lower the experience, easier it is to shift).

If you have less than 1 y-2 year experience, be strong in C++ or JAVA. Learn datastructures and algorithms. You will get a job very very easily. So, if you are really interested in shifting, then start working towards it NOW. It is better late than never.

ANy more info.advice needed, feel free to ask.

Cheers!
    -Kalayama

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="2"]"If you are not living on the edge of your life, you are wasting space"[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Someone says "Impossible is nothing". The man next him says "Let me see you licking your elbow tip!"

Expert Member
    Answers

Thanks Kalayama!!! Now i have my vision clear... I want my work to become challenging and i think testing is not as challenging as development. Thats y i'm bit inclined towards development. Any ways thanks for all.

Thanks
    Manoj

Expert Member
    Answers

Manoj, it is my pleasure that my words were of some help to you.

If you have to say "Thanks" click on the "Thanks" button on my previous post. Firstt it will help me increase my reputation, second, it is more convenient way of saying "Thanks".

Henceforth, if you find any post of anyone to be good, please click on the "Thanks Buuton" below that post.

Cheers!
    Kalayama

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="2"]"If you are not living on the edge of your life, you are wasting space"[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Someone says "Impossible is nothing". The man next him says "Let me see you licking your elbow tip!"

Answers

For Manoj, If you think testing is not challenging and development is challenging its wrong....challenging work is purely on your perception and how you are doing it...according to your perception developers are intelligent people they have developed..the code..challenging..then you need to be more intelligent then them to find defect in them got it? Its easy to find a defect in some one's work but to deliver a 100% defect free application or product is the real challenge...which is the job of the tester..

No offence meant for developers...
    Developers and testers work together to deliver the best product to market..

Answers

Hi Everyone,
    Looks like manoj has got his aim in career.Good for him.
    If you are really interested in coding and think that you are good at it,then go for some Midcap companies rather than Large Companies as you will get a brilliant exposure in small company compared to large companies where your role might be limited due to reusability.

But still Regarding Manoj's view that he is currently running only the scripts generated automatically,i would just like to add a point that what he is currently doing is a basic use of that tool (whichever he is using).

Theres an advance use done ie. when you script testing yourself and most of the coding part is done by you and thats called the proper automation.

Answers

Hello All,

I am looking for a change of domain from Manual testing to development, as i am a bit inclined towards development. I have an experience of almost 20 months in manual testing. Please let me know about the probability of shifting having experience in testing of almost 2years(20months as of now). Also you are most welcome for any kind of suggestion regarding "how I can make the chances of the shift to development better?"

Regards,
    Pramod

Answers

Quote Originally Posted by kalayama View Post
    If you have less than 1 y-2 year experience, be strong in C++ or JAVA. Learn datastructures and algorithms. You will get a job very very easily.
    Please suggest regarding this.

Regards,
    Pramod