Thread: Environment Variables

Answers

Environment Variables

What are environment variables in UNIX operating system. How to use them.Someone kindly give a example also.

Expert Member
    Answers

Re: Environment Variables

Environment variable - as the name suggests - is the variable that resides in Unix System Environment.
    This variable - once dfefined- can be accessed by any script/program/application which runs in the unix box.

For example let us say we have a dedicated FTP location to which we need all report files to be sent. We can declare FTP_HOME as an environment variable and use this as $FTP_HOME inside any script which runs in the UNIX box.

cheers,
    Kalayama

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="2"]"If you are not living on the edge of your life, you are wasting space"[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Someone says "Impossible is nothing". The man next him says "Let me see you licking your elbow tip!"

Answers

Can one change the value of the Environment Variable after it is defined.I do not have idea on this and what to know about this. Someone help me!!

Expert Member
    Answers

Definitely the value of the environment variable can be changed after it is defined.

- Kalayama

[COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="2"]"If you are not living on the edge of your life, you are wasting space"[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Someone says "Impossible is nothing". The man next him says "Let me see you licking your elbow tip!"

Contributing Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by nehalshah View Post
    What are environment variables in UNIX operating system. How to use them.Someone kindly give a example also.
    Environmental variables global variables which can used all subshells.
    they r defined using command

$export Global_Variable="value"

now this Global_Variable can be used in all sub shell which u run in the same terminal.