Thread: Sockets and Sql

Expert Member
    Answers

Sockets and Sql

Which TCP/IP socket is used for SQL.2.What is a maximum size of ROW3.How many columns we can create in a table.4.Which tool is used for Oracle and PL/SQL.

Note : This is the question asked by a visitor Nishanth. I am posting this in proper forum.

Expert Member
    Answers

Re: Sockets and Sql

Maximum Row Size
    For Oracle8, and later releases, the maximum row size is 4,000GB (or 4GB per LOB, 1,000 LOBs per table) or just take the maximum varchar2 size (4000) with maximum columns 1000, it will be 4000x1000=4,000,000 bytes of structured data.

For Oracle7 Release 7.x, the limit is 254 columns per table in which the varchar2 maximum is 2000 bytes, so that's about a total of 508,000 bytes of structured data.

Maximum Columns in a table
    The maximum columns allowed for Oracle 7 is 254.
    Then there was an increase from 254 to 1000 columns when Oracle release 8.0 was introduced.

Oracle & PL/SQL Tool
    My personal opinion for the best tool for Oracle is TOAD.
    PL/SQL Developer Tool also can be used for SQL & PL/SQL.

Regarding the TCP/IP socket, im not very sure abt that. I dont want to give information with doubts.
    As far as i know, the default port number is 1521 for Oracle & 1433 for SQL Server.

*** Mangai Varma ***