Thread: Merging L-PARs to share mippage

Answers

Unhappy Merging L-PARs to share mippage

Can anyone help please: How do I merge 2 L-PARs (virtually) from different physical plex's to share one pool of mippage resource? 1 plex has a run-plan of scheduling CICS regions for use during business hours only and the other plex has run-plan of scheduling CICS regions for 24hours.

Last edited by Amateur_Rookie; 09-11-2008 at 05:21 AM. Reason: Missed important info

Contributing Member
    Answers

Re: Merging L-PARs to share mippage

Quote Originally Posted by Amateur_Rookie View Post
    How do I merge 2 L-PARs (virtually) from different physical plex's?
    If I understand your question, you want to merge unrelated workloads on physically disparate CEC's.

Personally, I'd call this a migration.
    Assuming both CEC's are on the same OS & CICS release, the high altitude overview is to do a logical backup of the CICS regions. Restore it to the new CPAC and establish the CICS regions.
    When the CICS regions are running ok and coming up/down on schedule, it's time to consider moving the application. This part is pretty vanilla - logical backup, def gdg's, restore/rollin, etc.
    (While you're doing this, your network people should be paralleling network access to the new CEC.)
    The actual cutover is up to you, cold turkey or phased cut-over.

I realize this is amazingly vague, but you've asked a question that people build entire careers on. It's impossible to explain that in a couple paragraphs.